Text window on map

kd0gbx

13 Jul, 2018 03:18 AM

Perhaps this exists but I am ignorant of it. I would be interested in the ability to create a text/comment window next to a marker to describe specific details of the mark. For example a comment box expanded out and moveable that would describe elements of a piece of equipment that I am marking in the field like serial number, coordinates, list of items at that location, etc...

I can certainly put all of that in the comments for the marker but they aren't included in the printed product unless I print a separate marker list. (thanks for fixing that by the way) It would be very nice to have it all on one page.

Thanks,
Brad

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by kobe.pole on 14 Jul, 2018 05:22 AM

Hi Brad,
    You can label a marker, but the comments box doesn't show up, just the label.
    -Kobe

2. 2 Posted by kd0gbx on 14 Jul, 2018 11:17 PM

Yes, I am aware of the labels.

I'm suggesting that a larger window than the label, or comment bubble that is tied to an element on the map would be useful for my purposes and perhaps others as well. I would like to describe specifics of the marker in that text window and have it present during printing for quick reference on paper.

Just a suggestion. Thank you.

Brad

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by matt on 17 Jul, 2018 04:30 PM

It's something that's been considered, and may happen at some point, but moving beyond a simple case with just a few markers, positioning those comment bubbles so that they don't overlap, cross page boundaries or obscure important map features is tricky. One possibility would be to place the info in a corner with a key, rather than at the marker/line itself, but I haven't come up with anything I'm really happy with.

4. 4 Posted by kd0gbx on 17 Jul, 2018 04:50 PM

Matt,

I'm attaching an image of what I have in mind. Maybe it will work out but
    if it doesn't I will work around it.

Thanks

Brad

5. kobe.pole closed this discussion on 20 Aug, 2018 05:23 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac