slope angle shading New Zealand

Dan Markle

06 Jul, 2018 11:16 PM

hello Cal Topo-
I am a very avid backcountry skier from the U.S living in New Zealand. I realize that the slope angle shading is not available for New Zealand maps, but it is a very important tool that I use for avalanche safety. Is there any possible way I can access this feature for NZ maps, or is there another map database where this is available?
cheers!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 09 Jul, 2018 02:31 AM

Right now I only have elevation data for the US and parts of Canada, obtained from those governments directly. I'm looking into expanding that coverage using a global datasource like SRTM or ASTER, but the resolution of that would be significantly worse.

However, it looks like New Zealand now provides its own digital elevation model (DEM) data for free online. I don't know what resolution it will have, but it looks promising. Not something I'll be able to add in time for your current winter season though.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac