Utilizing US&R Custom Symbology

Gary Brouse, Planning Team Manager, FEMA US&R, PA TF1's Avatar

Gary Brouse, Planning Team Manager, FEMA US&R, PA TF1

26 Mar, 2017 02:14 PM

We recently used your product with great success both at Hurricane Matthew deployment and additionally when I was deployed with the State IMT to Ellicott City flooding. We in the FEMA US&R world utilize some additional symbology that is loaded onto our Garmin GPS units. I would like to be able to incorporate that into the mapping. Is there away to do that. I have tried going to the "Custom" area and inserting the URL but have been unsuccessful in being able to view or utilize them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The symbology can be found at http://napsg.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=239f244a1fff4974ab29691d260d9b9e.

Thank you in advance

Gary

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 27 Mar, 2017 05:41 PM

Revised symbology is definitely coming, but I can't give you a solid timeframe.

What URL where you entering? I can at least help you get the custom icon feature working for now.

2. 2 Posted by Gary Brouse on 27 Mar, 2017 05:49 PM

Hi Matt

Thanks for the rapid response and the update. I’m not a computer wiz….I tried loading them to my Google Drive and then using that URL. Not sure if that was even an option. I also tried with the address I had listed below….to no avail.

Gary

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by matt on 28 Mar, 2017 01:33 AM

Google Drive isn't a great option for hosting individual images.

There's a copy of the USAR icons hosted at https://emgis.oa.mo.gov/dps/icon/usar/ and you can use those URLs for adding custom SARTopo icons until I get better symbology support. They were set up by Dave Weber, who it sounds like you might already know.

4. matt closed this discussion on 28 Mar, 2017 01:33 AM.

5. Gary Brouse re-opened this discussion on 28 Mar, 2017 10:01 AM

6. 4 Posted by Gary Brouse on 28 Mar, 2017 10:01 AM

Thank you Sir. Yes, I know Mr Weber. Is he working with your team so we can import the icons off our Garmins?

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by matt on 02 Apr, 2017 06:25 PM

Not that I'm aware of. Can you spell out in a little more detail what you mean by "import the icons off our Garmins?" No guarantees, but at this point I don't think it's a feature that's even on my radar.

8. 6 Posted by joseph.idone on 25 Feb, 2018 12:43 AM

Matt,

Saw this discussion on custom "style" icons we would like to add some for a Heli LZ, and something we use in fires FOB (Fire Observer) which I am one of 8. We have Wildland fire trained observers who work with the sheriffs dept spotting fire behavior. We have FOB's out outside the fire perimeter but the move as the fire moves and want to plot them on our map. Attached a few samples. Tried entering the custom URL set above that you posted not sure if that is working.

Thanks Joe

9. Support Staff 7 Posted by matt on 26 Feb, 2018 05:52 AM

These are specialized enough that I don't see adding them directly, at least not right now.

If you're happy with a single line color and a transparent background, there's already an H-in-circle icon supported - top line of the icon dialog.

Alternately, you can host them somewhere and add the URL to the custom field at the bottom of the marker style dialog, or since it looks like you already have a pro-equivalent account, you can upload the images directly to your account so that they'll automatically be visible. I'm having a hard time digging up documentation at the moment, but click on your account name at the top left, then the "your icons" tab, then "add new icon". Once added it will show up on the marker style dialog.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac