a few suggested enhancements to make using multiple viewsheds easier

ghidley

12 Jun, 2018 10:32 PM

In our HPWREN project we are using viewsheds to show where existing and proposed fire watch cameras on mountain tops yield optimal public safety viewing benefits. Once we have added a dozen or so viewsheds to a map, it becomes hard to organize and access them. A few suggested improvements would be

1) Put a scroll bar on the right hand side map pulldown menu so we can access the longer viewshed lists to turn them on or off

2) When adding range rings (which we do to indicate reasonable optical limits to viewsheds), allow ability to edit the range rings name.

3) Allow view sheds to be stored in folders to help with their organization (by county, for example)

If it were possible to limit the (maximum) radius of a viewshed, #2 above, would be less of an issue fro us.

Thanks again for this wonderful and flexible CalTopo program. It makes us want to do more and more with it (and hence insures we run up against unanticipated limitations)!

thanks
greg

UCSD HPWREN team (hpwren.ucsd.edu)

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 14 Jun, 2018 01:52 AM

1) the layer list has slowly outgrown my UI but this is definitely on the to-do list

2) you should be able to do this? After you create a range ring it's just a standard line. Click the edit icon and change the name.

3) Something I've considered, but due to the way I built things it would require some refactoring work to give objects without a geometry a folder ID on the backend; it's not quite as simple as just turning on folders.

2. 2 Posted by ghidley on 14 Jun, 2018 02:34 AM

Thanks for the response Matt. My mistake on item #2, you are correct of
    course, I see I can re-edit range ring names ... when trying to [re]editing
    the range ring name, I think the user reporting this was not logged in and
    therefore did not have write permissions to do so.

thanks
    greg

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac