My Location - Moving map

matthew.kozma

04 Jun, 2018 05:26 AM

I use my laptop in my vehicle on SAR missions. I would love to keep the map centered on my location and track myself using the GPS connected to my laptop. The other applications that can center and follow me are missing too many other features that we need for SAR.
 Also I use SARTopo for all the other SAR mapping so having to switch back and forth between one app that is tracking my location and SARTopo for the assignment info (and waypoints) is awkward. Ideally this would work in both online and offline modes.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 04 Jun, 2018 09:08 PM

I think it's coming, but possibly only in offline mode, and not for several months.

Even if you have a GPS plugged into your laptop, your browser probably isn't able to talk to it and get location data, so I can't just read your location directly from the browser the way I can on a phone. That leaves trying to read GPS data through my GPSIO extension (more difficult, but would work both online and off), or reading it directly via the offline app (easier, but would only work offline).

One unresolved issue is how to handle the user panning the map. Does that stop the moving map altogether? Do I wait a fixed amount of time after the last pan before re-enabling moving map mode? Immediately jump back to the current location on the next location update? Can you provide input on how other apps handle this, or what the preferred option would be?

2. 2 Posted by matthew.kozma on 05 Jun, 2018 03:09 AM

Matt,

I understand the issues of having the browser aware of the GPS data. I was thinking it could work like the Garmin tracker app.

Online: Run and app that listens to a comm port for NEMA sentances. Send that data to the SARtopo server with an ID number. Then in the browser you would configure your ID number. The browser app could then center on and display the track of the data feed.

Offline: Run and app that listens to a comm port for NEMA sentances. Send that data to the offline SARtopo instance with an ID number. Then in the browser you would configure your ID number. The browser app could then center on and display the track of the data feed.

Great questions about the panning and centering. Personally I do not like automatic re-centering. If I pan and zoom the map then that stops the center on me feature . i would want to click an icon on the screen that would use the current zoom level, center on my location and maintain that until I manually zoom or pan the map. I have used apps the jump back immediately on the next update and it is awkward and interrupts the action I am trying to perform. I guess an optional time reset might be a good idea. But I like the manual restart the best.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac