Index/List of all of my public maps

Christian

15 May, 2018 04:45 PM

I share maps all the time with friends who are planning trips. Sometimes I share an individual route, but often, I want to share all of the maps I've flagged as public. It's tedious to do that now (AFAIK): I have to copy and past each one into an email.

What I really want to do is give them a single link that includes all of my maps. The index page could looks a lot like the current "Maps Saved to Your Account" page.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 16 May, 2018 01:41 AM

To better understand the issue - what's the reason for sharing all your public maps with someone, and if it's a friend, why public maps specifically as opposed to share-with-URL?

2. 2 Posted by Christian on 16 May, 2018 03:51 AM

I organize trips for families, often with small kids. Other parents end up asking me advice for good routes for families with little kids. I want to send them a link and say something like, "Check out any of the routes that say 'family' at this link."

Now that I capture maps for most of my trips, there are other cases where I might want to share all of my trips with an aspiring backpacker, so that can check them out and decide if they might want to do one of the routes themselves.

The key is to be able to share more than one at a time. Sure, I could -- and have -- sent a bunch of links to routes, but even that is a little tedious because the I have to copy the names and descriptions separately.

By being able to share a list of all of my public routes easily, I would be able to help other backpackers find neat things to do (without a bunch of c-n-p) and probably get them excited about caltopo in the process. :)

3. 3 Posted by Christian on 16 May, 2018 03:52 AM

Also, FWIW, I only create publicly viewable maps.

4. 4 Posted by Christian on 06 Jun, 2018 04:21 PM

Matt, any feedback on this request? Did my explanation paint a sufficiently clear picture of how such a feature could be useful? Thanks!

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by matt on 07 Jun, 2018 05:39 PM

It makes sense, and it's definitely something I'll look at implementing - public maps in this case are easier since I can make the page public facing and crawlable. I'm sorry I can't give you any kind of ETA at this point though.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac