Vertical exaggeration

Zach B

14 May, 2018 05:02 PM

When adding a line and then creating a profile, I wish there was a feature to set the vertical to horizontal scale. I am using CalTopo for my geology major courses at university and it works quite well for many things including stream profiles, and drainage basin calculations. However, it severely lacks in the "cross section" or profile creating feature. It works quite well for what it does, but the vertical exaggeration causes a load of problems that make it impossible to use for geology. Geologists make cross sections in 1:1 vertical to horizontal scale. Meaning that the distance vertically should be the same distance horizontally. Example: 1 inch vertically is 1000 feet in scale. The cross section should also show 1 inch horizontally to be 1000 feet in scale. The lowest I've been able to get it is down to 1.5x vertical exaggeration. Please fix this and allow us to set the vertical to horizontal exaggeration! It will be so much more useful!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 14 May, 2018 08:13 PM

Noted, and I agree that it's a weak point. I do plan to improve the profile feature, but it probably won't happen until late summer at the earliest.

I know it's not exactly what you're asking for, but with a pro subscription you can set the sampling interval for the profile and then export the results to CSV. Then you can make your own graph using a spreadsheet program that looks exactly the way you want.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac