APRS tracking

ronelson99

19 Mar, 2017 05:33 PM

I would like to use SARTopo (offline or online) for radio-based APRS tracking. I found some outdated information about setting up SARsoft for this purpose, but nothing for SARTopo. Can you provide instructions for set up and use of APRS tracking features? I have tried the Locator object using APRS coming in over the sound card mic input with Direwolf software to decode, and with APRS-IS. But I am lacking information on what connections are available and how to configure them.
Thanks,
Ron NR5ON

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 20 Mar, 2017 09:28 PM

I'm not sure if you can get it to work via the sound card. The two standard methods are reading from a TNC over a serial port, and reading from the APRS-IS network. Note that I haven't officially documented these in the knowledge base yet since an upcoming item is to remove 'sarsoft' prefixes from the properties file entries, so the exact property names may change soon.

For serial ports, you should just need to set sarsoft.location.aprs.local.enabled=true in the properties file, and any connected serial ports will be connected to automatically.

For APRS-IS, set sarsoft.location.aprs.is.enable=true. You should set sarsoft.location.aprs.is.user= to your ham callsign; this isn't necessary as aprs-is allows anonymous access but would let someone contact you if your connection was misbehaving. You can also set sarsoft.location.aprs.is.serverName and .serverPort if you want to use a different APRS-IS server, or roll your own based on locally received data, but at the moment the filter is fixed to "a/50/-125/25/-66 -t/oimqstunw" with no way to customize it.

2. 2 Posted by ronelson99 on 21 Mar, 2017 03:25 AM

Matt,

Thanks, the APRS-IS is working. I think the radio input to the sound card
    plus Direwolf software creating a TNC COM port output via a virtual com
    port might be made to work.

Ron NR5ON

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac