addint text and changing font size

rvf1058

23 Apr, 2018 01:54 AM

I want to add text to the map the add marker feature only provides small fonts I want larger fonts is that possible ??

Thanks RVF

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 24 Apr, 2018 12:12 AM

It's definitely something that's on my radar, but at the moment there's no way to add free-floating text (it without a marker icon) or change the text size. When printing a PDF, the "markup size" option will make everything bigger - icons, lines and text. Maybe that will help? I know it's not exactly what you're asking for.

2. 2 Posted by JohnK on 09 Jun, 2018 04:04 PM

When printing a map, you have "Icon Size" selections of 1X, 2X, 4X, etc. under Lines and Polygons. I'd like to see an icon size selection of 0.5X (i.e., half the smallest icon size you currently permit). Is this something also on your radar? If not, could it be?

Regards, JohnK

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by matt on 10 Jun, 2018 02:47 AM

I'll think about it - shouldn't be too hard to add. Can I ask why you want to make the icons smaller? The dots in particular are already fairly tiny. This feature was mostly added for large-scale briefing maps that need to be readable at a distance, so I'm wondering what the recreational use cases are.

I do also plan to offer various icon sizes on the map viewer itself, including smaller ones, but that's more complex than scaling them on the PDF.

4. 4 Posted by JohnK on 10 Jun, 2018 05:34 AM

Matt,
    Wow, quick reply. First of all, you have a great software package; hope nobody comes along, buys you out and then shuts it down.

Secondly, I said "Icon Size" selections of 1X, 2X, 4X, etc" but what I should've said was "can you reduce the font size." I believe that the Icon Size selection is what controls the font size display, right?

As for why do I want a smaller font size, I like to print my maps on 8.5" x 11" size pages, and follow my waypoints on my GPS. The sample JPGs attached (see pages 3 and 4 esp.) show how crowded waypoint displays can become on some parts of a trail when scaled to 1:24,000.

So I "zoomed in" so to speak by printing up a 1:5,000 page for one area of interest. This makes things easier to read. Page 3 (at 1:24,000) shows the Lindeman City waypoints (03LC-xx numbers), and then the "LindemanCity_Trails JPG shows a zoomed-in view at 1:5,000. You can see the difference.

If you're wondering why do I have so many waypoints, well, I set up my GPS to sound an audible alarm when I come to each of the waypoints. I don't care about the icon sizes, just a font size of 0.5X would be nice.

Regards,
    JohnK

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by matt on 12 Jun, 2018 08:48 PM

The icon size affects marker symbols, line widths and label sizes; there's no independent label parameter.

I don't see any attached images. It won't affect the possible implementation of this feature but I may be able to offer some other ideas.

6. 6 Posted by JohnK on 14 Jun, 2018 10:21 PM

I swear that those six attachments were listed. Here they are starting at the fourth image on my Photos page:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/27HpiL1wiuLWvqeJ3

7. kobe.pole closed this discussion on 20 Aug, 2018 05:26 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac