Garmin themed waypoint icons

Caelan

05 Apr, 2018 10:06 PM

Hello,

In the future would it be possible to supply more waypoint icons in the "marker" menu? I know there's a number of defaults already available. I'm also aware that you can import via a web URL. What I would like to see is more Garmin themed waypoint icons readily available on the default list. Rather than having to browse the web each time to find a new .PNG picture.
Example: My SAR team is assinged to individual Garmin based waypoint icons. This way our track logs and reports are specific to each person. Makes it easier for the search manager to do the final write up in the end. I'm assigned a green pin, while another member may have the shopping cart or fish icon. It would be awesome to have these as readily availalbe default icons in the "marker" menu. Saves time searching the web and finding just the right one. And not to mention a very high percent of GPS users have Garming brand.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 07 Apr, 2018 08:28 PM

I am planning to redo the marker icon set soon, but:

• Adding those icons to CalTopo wouldn't mean that they would automatically show up when you import a waypoint from someone's GPS. Preserving the icon on import is more complicated, if that's what you're asking for - is it?

• I don't know how closely I could match their icon set without running afoul of copyright or trademark law. Unless it's open sourced, I certainly couldn't just copy their icon set over directly.

With a Pro or SAR account, you can upload custom icon images and save them them to your account (the "your icons" tab on the account dialog), at which point they'll be readily available in the marker dialog without you having to specify a URL each time.

Not that I'm trying to sell you a team subscription, but if you have one (https://sartopo.com/group/join), you can save icons to the team account, at which point they will show up for all your members.

2. 2 Posted by Caelan Switzky on 07 Apr, 2018 08:55 PM

Hi Matt,

"With a Pro or SAR account, you can upload custom icon images and save them
    them to your account (the "your icons" tab on the account dialog), at which
    point they'll be readily available in the marker dialog without you having
    to specify a URL each time."

This I was not aware of ^^^. That's a happy medium for me and will work for
    now. Much easier than searching the web and importing .PNG's each time.
    I'll give it a try and see what happens. I figured there was something I
    was missing out on...

Thank you for the help.
    -Caelan

3. matt closed this discussion on 07 Apr, 2018 11:11 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac