Collapsable folders

youngortho

01 Feb, 2017 06:52 PM

I'm noticing that as I add more data to a map the column area on the left of the screen fills up quickly, requiring both scrolling and then searching to find a particular datum/marker/route/etc.

I think it would increase usability to be able to collapse a folder so that only the folder name is visible until it is expanded and then all items within the folder are then visible. This would make it so much cleaner and easier to drill down and find a specific item. I think most people are used to navigating directory trees this way and would quickly adapt to this type of design.

In fact, as I'm writing this I am realizing that this is exactly how Google Earth structures its "My Places" and "Layers" and even how the CalTopo data is presented within Google Earth when syncing data and map layers. The attached file shows how compact all of my CalTopo data is within Google Earth vs. only being able to see some of the same data within CalTopo.

Icing on the cake would be to allow nested folders and a top level search field.

Cheers,
Dave

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 02 Feb, 2017 08:57 PM

If you click on the folder name it will collapse the folder, click again to expand. It's a little obscure but since it's not a feature a lot of people use I didn't want to try dealing with the space that both a checkbox and an open/closed indicator arrow would take up in the left bar.

Nested folders are a whole different story and that's not something I expect to provide in the near term.

2. matt closed this discussion on 02 Feb, 2017 08:57 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac