USGS 1:250,000 maps

bchristo

17 Jan, 2017 04:02 AM

What happened to the USGS 1:250,000 scale maps? They were a great resource, but don't seem to be appearing now as a choice for viewing.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 18 Jan, 2017 11:40 PM

That was an intentional change; they weren't used much, and from my perspective I didn't see a lot of value in them for high level navigation. If a few more people complain I may need to rethink that decision, but overall my preference is to keep the layer dropdown at a manageable size and expand the list of custom layers.

See http://help.caltopo.com/discussions/features/97-missing-arcgis-and-... for adding them back as a custom layer; you can also use the "save to account" link to make them always show up whenever you're signed in. Give it a try and let me know how that works out for you vs having them as a stock layer.

2. matt closed this discussion on 18 Jan, 2017 11:40 PM.

3. bchristo re-opened this discussion on 19 Jan, 2017 06:33 AM

4. 2 Posted by bchristo on 19 Jan, 2017 06:33 AM

Matt,

Thanks for your response. When I click on the link you sent, a page comes up saying "This discussion is private or deleted" has a space for me to login and also has "Recent Discussions" and "Recent Articles". However, I don't see anything about adding 1:250,000 scale maps as a custom layer.

I liked the 1:250,000 both as an overview for locating a place before focusing in and using more detailed maps, and also as a historical reference; they are old, and it's often useful to compare old maps to newer maps.

Bruce

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by matt on 20 Jan, 2017 06:44 AM

Sorry; try again. It should be public now.

6. 4 Posted by bchristo on 22 Jan, 2017 08:12 AM

I tried your suggestion at http://help.caltopo.com/discussions/features/97-missing-arcgis-and-... and added the USGS 1250,000 as a custom layer. This seemed to work until I tried changing to a different layer and was unable to do so. Once I added the 1:250,000 as a custom layer, I was unable to get out of that layer!

I get your point of not having too many layer choices in the layer dropdown menu. This might be an alternative to keep that dropdown to a manageable size and still have lots of layers: What about a drop down layer list with sub-menus? When you click on the Base Layer drop down list what might show is just:
         Topographic Maps
         Aerial Imagery
         Google Layers
         Shaded Relief
         Overview Maps
         Historic Maps
         Open StreetMap

The above 7 categories are what you have now, but you also have the addition of all the different layers within each of the above 7 categories.

After clicking on the Base Layer drop down list, a user could then click on one of the above categories, e.g., "Topographic Maps", and then a drop down sub-menu list could come up:
         MapBuilder Topo
         USGS 7.5'
         FSTopo (2013)
         FSTopo (2016)
         Marine Charts
         NR Canada
         CanMatrix

Using sub-menus would reduce the size of the layer drop down list (I agree with you that you don't want it too big), but still allows for the total number of layers to get bigger.

I love what you've done with Caltopo!

Bruce

CalTopo: Discussion<http://help.caltopo.com/discussions/features/97-missing-arcgis-and-larger-scale-topos>
    help.caltopo.com

Hi Matt,Thanks for the quick reply. Google Terrain is nowhere near as good as 1:250K topos (though latter are dated). I believe the ArcGIS topo that was a ...

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by matt on 23 Jan, 2017 02:08 AM

That doesn't sound right.

Can you send me some screenshots, or describe what happens when you try to change the map layer? Are you literally unable to change the dialog, or is the change not showing up on the map?

8. 6 Posted by bchristo on 27 Jan, 2017 07:23 AM

Here's a screenshot, but it doesn't show what's happening.

When I put my mouse over the "USGS 7.5' +1" on the upper right, the drop down menu appears. When I click on "USGS 7.5'" within the Base Layer box, the different possible base layers appear (MapBuilder Topo, USGS 7.5', FS Topo (2013), etcetera). However, when I click on one of these base layers, nothing happen (well, instead of saying "USGS 7.5' +1" as in the screenshot, it would say the new base layer +1, but it would still be the 1:250,000 map).

So I guess I can change what you call the dialog, but there is no change in the map.

Bruce

9. Support Staff 7 Posted by matt on 30 Jan, 2017 11:14 PM

When you mouse over the "USGS 7.5 + 1", you should get a white box with at least one dropdown and a bunch of checkboxes. Are you sure there's only one dropdown visible here? It sounds like you simply have the custom layer overlaid on top of the basemap, and need to click the red X next to the second dropdown, or set its opacity back to 0.

The custom layer was overlaid onto the map when you initially added it.

10. 8 Posted by bchristo on 31 Jan, 2017 06:40 PM

That's it - the opacity is set to 100% and if I reduce the opacity, then I can see the 7.5" map (or whatever the base layer is).

Thanks for working with me on that.

I'd still like to see the 1:250,000 as a base layer choice in the menu, maybe through using a drop down menu of

Topographic Maps

Aerial Imagery

Google Layers

Shaded Relief

Overview Maps

Historic Maps

Open StreetMap

and then having a sub-menu of map layers drop down once you mouse over of click on one of the above menu items.

Thanks,

Bruce

11. Support Staff 9 Posted by matt on 01 Feb, 2017 03:52 AM

I don't see that happening in the near to moderate future due to a plethora of other priorities.

Did you add the custom layer to your account (link shows up at the bottom of the layer dialog if you're signed in)? That way it will always show up at the bottom of your layer dropdown, without needing to constantly re-add the custom layer.

12. System closed this discussion on 02 Oct, 2019 04:25 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac