App track Issues

chuckroz

27 Jul, 2021 04:50 PM

For the last few days, when starting an AppTrack, the label box comes up with "Undefined Undefined" instead of the date. Also, some of our members tracks, after they close them, don't disappear from the App Track folder even though they are also in the Lines and Polygons folder. like on this map https://sartopo.com/m/HU5V.
We used the SMS text feature and it worked great to locate the missing people.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan on 28 Jul, 2021 12:24 AM

Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback! I have not observed "Undefined Undefined" in the track name field- could you provide a little more information about that? Specifically:

• Have you only observed it on your mobile app or have you seen it on other peoples as well?
    • What version of the CalTopo app and what type and version mobile device and OS are you using?
    • Do you observe it every time? If not, when do you observe it and what specific steps do you take beforehand?

Thanks for providing the additional information! And as for the the App Tracks question, it does appear that one of the tracks still in the App Tracks folder on the map you shared is from a SMS locator object. Those tracks do not end since there's no obvious stop point like recording a track has. However the other track should have left the App Tracks folder once it moved into the Lines & Polygons folder. This is a known bug that we do plan to address; however we just haven't had time to dig into it yet.

Thank you,
    Meghan

2. 2 Posted by chuckroz on 28 Jul, 2021 12:41 AM

Sent from my

> On Jul 27, 2021, at 5:24 PM, Meghan <[email blocked]> wrote:
    >
    > Thanks for getting back to me. I have seen it in other people’s app as well during the last few days. I am using an iPhone. I don’t know what version of the app that I am using. I’m not sure how to find that, but when I go to the App Store, it just says open, not download a new version.
    I know that the sms locator apps don’t move as that person can’t finish a track. It is just the other person’s track. That person has had the same thing happen on a couple of other tracks recently. I haven’t seen it on any other people’s tracks.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Julie on 28 Jul, 2021 03:30 PM

HI Chuck,

With the track recording, we changed the default so that when you are recording a track on a map that you do not own (ie that a team owns it or it's a bookmark), it will show the name of the person recording the track. It looks like you don't have a name associated with your account currently, and a few others on the team do not either. You can change your name by logging in on the web, and clicking on your account name in the upper right corner to open your account data. You can set the display name there.

I'm interested that only your track seems to linger in the app tracks folder. Do you end your track at a different time or location that the others? We think it might be related to poor data connection or just some other strange timing thing. For example, if the track is completed without great cell service and doesn't send the message to the server to say it's completed, there might be a bug that prevents it from updating later when the connection is better. So, do you think it's possible that the network connection when you finished the track wasn't perfect?

Thanks,
    Julie

4. 4 Posted by chuckroz on 28 Jul, 2021 09:29 PM

Julie,Thank you for the assistance. I logged on and added my name to the account. I am an administrator on our account and saw the other members who don't have names assigned. While helping run numerous searches I have been trying to take advantage of the fact that you had the date come up as default. I have been asking people to use the date and then add their last name and team number. Since The map gets crowded if you have both a first and last name on the label, I just used my last name for my account name. Now I get my last name and undefined as the default label. Since I think that having the date of the track is important for a label, could you add that as part of the default with the persons name?As far as the App track not going away after it is transferred to Lines and Polygons, I am not having the issue, just the person on the map with the issue. This has happened a few times. I ask her to finish the track and she says that she did and when checking on her phone, she had finished it. I believe that sometimes it is in our headquarters with good WIFI.

Thanks,Chuck

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Meghan on 29 Jul, 2021 12:13 AM

Chuck,

Thanks for the feedback. Did you see Julie's instructions for how to change your display name so that you don't end up with "undefined" in the track name when you are recording a track to team or bookmarked map? We don't plan to go back to using the date as the default on maps you don't own since it does make it easier to identify who's recording what track when you have multiple tracks recording to the same map. However the name of the track can be edited after it starts recording if users stick with the default and you find the map is too crowded.

And thanks for the additional information about the App Tracks folder issue- I will share it with the team.

Best,
    Meghan

6. Meghan closed this discussion on 29 Jul, 2021 12:13 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

24 Sep, 2021 01:18 AM
23 Sep, 2021 11:43 PM
23 Sep, 2021 02:31 PM