IOS app gets stuck / hits HTTP error 500 when trying to load app

Yarinareth

18 Jan, 2021 06:44 PM

I have the most recent version of the IOS app. I am unable to load my map onto the app. When I try, sometimes I will soon encounter an HTTP error 500 page or will become seemingly endlessly stuck in the loading screen-- I have let it try to load for 15+ minutes without any success. Scanning my map's QR code results in the same endings.

If it's relevant, sometimes the map symbol to the left of the name of the map is a white folded map, and sometimes it's a red cloud.

I can still manipulate the base layer, but nothing I have added on the web version is able to make it to my app beyond being listed as a map I can load.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Julie on 18 Jan, 2021 09:17 PM

Hi,

We need some more info from you. Please answer all the following questions:

• What app version, by number, do you have installed?
    • What device and operating system are you using?
    • What is the 4-digit ID of the map you are having trouble with?
    • What steps, exactly, do you take leading up to the error screen?

Thanks,
    Julie

2. 2 Posted by Yarinareth on 19 Jan, 2021 01:02 PM

Hi Julie,

I am running IOS version 0.6.14.
    I am using an iPhone 6S, version 14.3.
    My map's ID is 1LBE.
    My steps are as follows:

Open the app. Tap the three bars in the UL corner. Tap "Maps." Tap my map's name. The app's home page comes back with a "Loading ..." box. At this point, I will become either apparently stuck loading the map, or I will quickly be taken to the error page. I can still select "Cancel" from the box and get back to the app's home page and use the app as normal, just without any map loaded.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Meghan on 19 Jan, 2021 07:20 PM

Thanks for all the detailed information! We dig some digging and your map (map ID 1LBE) has a huge amount of data (even with the folder visibility set to hide map objects on page load), which is why you it gets stuck loading and/or you get a HTTP 500 error.

My recommendation would be to break up your one very large map into numerous smaller maps. The Copy to New Map function in the export menu should make this process relatively straightforward (you can learn more about that function here. Personally I like to organize my maps by area but it really depends on what your personal preference is.

Thanks for using CalTopo!
    Meghan

4. Meghan closed this discussion on 19 Jan, 2021 07:20 PM.

5. Yarinareth re-opened this discussion on 19 Jan, 2021 07:26 PM

6. 4 Posted by Yarinareth on 19 Jan, 2021 07:26 PM

Hi Meghan,

Thank you very much for this information! I had a feeling that might be the case-- I've noticed some lag on the web version. If I may ask a follow-up question, is there a way for me to see the file size of a map? I could better split my map into certain categories if I knew how large each could be while remaining usable on the app.

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Meghan on 19 Jan, 2021 08:30 PM

There is not a way view the file size of each map directly in CalTopo. The simplest way I can think of to do it is to export your map as a GeoJSON and then check the file size of the exported file to get an idea of how big your map is. It'll probably take some trial and error but you should be able to get your maps down to a manageable size!

8. Meghan closed this discussion on 19 Jan, 2021 08:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

07 Mar, 2021 05:06 PM
07 Mar, 2021 06:18 AM
07 Mar, 2021 06:05 AM