Wrong Lake Names

Bob

02 Sep, 2020 07:22 PM

I'm backpacking in the Indian Heaven Wilderness Area which is just to the east of Mt Adams in Washington State. You have the names of most of the lake wrong. What you call Junction Lake is Thomas Lake. The lake just north of East Crater, which you call Eunice Lake, is Junction Lake. Eunice Lake, which you call Lemi Lake, is the small lake north east of Thomas Lake. Lemi Lake is the lake just to the east of Lemi peak.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 02 Sep, 2020 08:41 PM

Sorry, I hope that didn't result in any problems in the field.

We get the lake names from the USGS' National Hydrology Dataset (NHD). Making inline changes to that dataset in a way that doesn't result in them getting wiped out the next time we do an import is tricky. This sounded familiar so I searched through my email, and it turns out someone did bring this up in 2017, and I remember fixing them then, but then at some point we did another import of the NHD, and those changes got overwritten.

I will try to let the USGS know and get these fixed again, but it will probably have to wait until our next import of the OpenStreetMap database, which we do 3-4 times a year.

2. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 14 Sep, 2020 08:54 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac