Printing maps is down this afternoon

Brett

31 Aug, 2020 12:31 AM

The print to PDF or JPG pop-up loads but map content and left-pane user controls are blank. This seems to be concurrent, perhaps merely coincident, with today's introduced new organization for USFS map layer toggle. What say ye, one and all?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 31 Aug, 2020 12:53 AM

Sorry about that, should be fixed now - and as you noticed it was related to some deployed changes, which I thought were pretty minor.

2. 2 Posted by Brett on 31 Aug, 2020 01:07 AM

Confirmed, working again. Thanks Matt! Minor incremental changes but, for anyone who hasn't checked in lately, some really cool new tools in the toolbox.

3. 3 Posted by Patrick on 31 Aug, 2020 02:21 AM

I've been trying to print a simple topo pdf map for two days and just get empty files. Brett's post at 1907 seemed to note it is working. But not for me.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by matt on 31 Aug, 2020 04:59 AM

The issue was only around for an hour or two, if you're unable to print for two days than it's something else. Whatever details (specific layers, screenshots, etc) you can provide would help, possibly in a separate thread. By empty files, do you mean white PDFs? This happens when the server runs into an issue, and knowing 1) which layers you have turned on and 2) which map you printed the PDF from, would help us debug it. Also the ID of one of the all-white PDFs.

5. 5 Posted by Pat McKinley on 02 Sep, 2020 02:56 PM

Hi Matt,

I’m likely doing something wrong but have never had this trouble before. I will try to provide you the info you requested in your email response below.

The first attachment is a screen shot of the Silver Plume map I’m trying to print.
    Yes, when I noted “empty file” it is a 506 byte file – see the second attachment.
    Hopefully the attached screen shot provides the layers turned on,( mapbuilder overlay, UTM, fill polygons). The screen shot is the map I printed in PDF.

Thanks for your help. As noted above, I’ve never had a printing problem before.
    Thanks for all you guys do in helping us outdoors people enjoy and stay safe!

Sincerely,
    Pat

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Julie on 02 Sep, 2020 04:55 PM

Pat,

What is the Map ID or URL?

I'm betting you need to change the base layer "no name" to something else before printing. It's probably preventing the print even though you aren't displaying it. If it's not that I'll need to take a look at the map. I can't find an account under this email address. Do you have another that you login with?

Julie

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by matt on 03 Sep, 2020 04:44 AM

Pat -

I'm certain that as Julie said, it's related to the "No Name" base layer you have turned on. The PDF generator is more fragile than it should be when trying to render layers it doesn't recognize, and the layer control shows "No Name" when there's a layer it doesn't recognize. I don't know what layers you had turned on in the map viewer when you went to go print, but the base layer there is the problem.

I just checked, and if I have a Google Maps layer as my base layer, I run into the same issue you are - the base dropdown says "No Name" and then the PDF is white. This is a new bug, we can't print Google layers and so filter them out of the print UI, but until recently you could still print a PDF from a page that had a Google layer turned on, without it breaking completely.

• Matt

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac