Can't load precipitation

Kimberlee Day

28 Aug, 2020 11:27 PM

I'm not sure if this is a bug, but I have almost never been able to get caltopo to show me precipitation. Is there some sort of trick to it? I'm sure somewhere in the world it's going to rain over the next 24 hours but caltopo says nada.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Julie on 31 Aug, 2020 02:36 PM

Hi Kimberlee,

Well, the overlay is limited to the US, as it uses NOAA forecasts to generate it. Closer in, it still can take a moment to calculate and load, as it has to pull forecast data for the area and then calculate what to display. It should appear as color shading over the map. For example, here is the precip layer for today over northern Arkansas and Oklahoma. Give it a moment or two to load without zooming or moving the map. It's also not going to be super high resolution. IE if there are scattered thunderstorms predicted with limited precip falling, it might not show anything.

FYI we updated how layers and overlays are organized over the weekend and it's now found under Weather Forecast: Color Visualization, then choose either 24 or 48 hour precip in the drop down menu.

Best,
    Julie

2. Julie closed this discussion on 31 Aug, 2020 02:36 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac