Saved PDF maps not loading after a few hours

Steve Ingold

30 Jun, 2020 06:31 AM

The map I am using is sartopo.com/p/557A. it's quite large, but when I save it to my pdf's, it's available for a few hours, and then stops being available. It won't load anymore. I can go back and recreate the print out to have it saved as the same file, and then it's available again for a few hours, and eventually just loads a blank pdf. I've tried refreshing the page, and saving it for different time frames (7 days, 30 days, 1 year etc) doesn't appear to make a difference.

Not sure what's happening or why, any ideas?
Thanks!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Julie on 30 Jun, 2020 09:42 PM

Hi Steve,

We've been testing with your map today, and it seems that I can both duplicate the problem, but not consistently. Usually refreshing or stopping the page then calling the link again will get it to work. It's a big map, so we're wondering if your browser is just timing out while waiting for the map. Could you please play around with using refresh, or try incognito windows to open the link? Let us know if you are generally able to get it to work without having to make the PDF again. Also let us know if you still can't get it to load at all and we'll think of other things to try.

Best,
    Julie

2. Julie closed this discussion on 30 Jun, 2020 09:42 PM.

3. Julie re-opened this discussion on 02 Jul, 2020 10:48 PM

4. Support Staff 2 Posted by Julie on 02 Jul, 2020 10:48 PM

Steve,

We dug into this a little more and I think we've identified the problem. It has to do with the baselayer that you are using. We don't host the Open Street Map tiles ourselves, and they (OSM) have a timeout limit on their tiles request. Because your map requires so many tiles to produce the PDF, it sometimes maxes out what we can get from the OSM server at that moment. The other half of the equation is that we only store a certain number of PDFs on our server, and they get cycled out. So when you call up the link to the PDF later, it has to rebuild it, and pull in all those tiles again.

Thus, refreshing it after a few minutes can solve the problem. Also, printing with a different background baselayer should solve the problem. However, with PDFs that are this big and contain so much data, you'll almost always be better off downloading the PDF to your computer once you produce it the first time. You'll be able to open it faster each time that way.

Thanks,
    Julie

5. Julie closed this discussion on 02 Jul, 2020 10:48 PM.

6. Steve Ingold re-opened this discussion on 12 Jul, 2020 11:19 PM

7. 3 Posted by Steve Ingold on 12 Jul, 2020 11:19 PM

Thanks Julie,
    Much appreciated, now that I understand the issue, we'll find ways to work
    around it. It's a huge file, so I can understand there being issues.
    Question, you said printing with a different background baselayer should
    solve the problem, which background base layers are hosted by caltopo? You
    said you don't host OSM, so I just want to make sure I use one that will
    help with the issue.
    Thanks!

<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>
    Virus-free.
    www.avast.com
    <https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>
    <#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac