Selecting a line within a polygon?

Jake Huddleston

12 May, 2020 05:35 AM

I am unable to select a line if it lies within a polygon. For instance, I create a polygon to map out the catchment of a particular creek. I then create a line along a trail within that catchment. I am unable to select the line within the polygon, only the polygon itself. If the entire line lies within the polygon, I currently have to drag one of the vertices of the polygon past the line in order to select it (at that point part of the line now lies outside the polygon). Any workaround to this? Thanks!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Julie on 12 May, 2020 02:43 PM

Hi Jake,

There are a couple of workarounds for this. First, you can select the line from the list of objects on the left hand side of the window.

Secondly, you can use the Config menu at the top of the screen to "Set Visibility: By Item", then turn off the visibility for the polygon covering the line. You could also put all your polygons into their own folder, then turn off the vis for that folder.

If you need to still see the outline of the polygon while you are editing the line, you could copy the polygon to a line (I recommend putting that line in a separate folder and/or giving the line a clearly identifiable name), then turning the polygon visibility OFF while keeping the line created from the polygon ON. Then you should be able to the polygon boundary while also clicking on objects inside of it.

That should get you working.
    Thanks,
    Julie

2. Julie closed this discussion on 12 May, 2020 02:43 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac