Can't add marker while recording track and can't see contours when zoomed in (Android app)

scott.danieln

28 Apr, 2020 01:37 PM

I was using the CalTopo app on Android (8.0.0, Samsung Galaxy S7) last weekend recording a track. I was unable to place markers while recording a track. I could add them and name them, but then when I hit "OK", they'd just disappear. My track actually did the same thing when I finished it (just disappeared). I restarted the app, it asked me if I would like to recover my track, I said yes, and my track and waypoints all suddenly appeared. I would have expected the track and waypoints to save and display as soon as I confirmed their creation. For reference, I was saving these to the map and my account (I have a pro subscription), and was using my phone in airplane mode with offline map layers.

Also, I have contours downloaded for offline use, but they only display when I'm zoomed pretty far out on the map. When I zoom in, they disappear. Is there any way to change the display scale in the app?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by rmarcucci on 28 Apr, 2020 01:57 PM

Hi Scott,

2 quick questions before I pass this off for debugging:
    What version # of the app do you have installed?
    Were you involved in the early beta testing? I ask because some folks who had a very early version of the app installed have had issues as the updates progressed and need to do a complete uninstall/reinstall. If not, don't worry about that as it wouldn't apply to you.

Thank you,
    Rom

2. 2 Posted by scott.danieln on 28 Apr, 2020 01:59 PM

Hi Rom,

Thank you for the quick reply! I am using app version 0.5.2. As far as I know, I'm not part of the early beta testing (I downloaded the app a few weeks ago).

Thanks for looking into this! I'm really liking the app and online interface so far and I can't wait for it to be fleshed out and fully functioning.

Dan

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by rmarcucci on 28 Apr, 2020 02:03 PM

Dan,

You are all current and you definitely weren't that early. I'm going to need to hand this over to the engineering team as I can't replicate it on my android and this is the first report we've had of this. It may take a day or two to get this sorted.

Thank you,
    Rom

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Ben Lantow on 28 Apr, 2020 02:30 PM

Dan I'm taking a look at this with one of our team this morning. Thanks so much for reporting it, definitely not the behaviour that we expect.

Best,
    Ben

5. 5 Posted by scott.danieln on 28 Apr, 2020 02:34 PM

Ben,

That sounds good. Happy to provide more details if helpful. I just tried replicating the bug this morning, and I couldn't replicate it, so maybe it was just a one-off or something wrong with my phone? Just figured I'd let you know in case it turns out not to be.

Thanks,

Dan

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Ben Lantow on 28 Apr, 2020 02:40 PM

Scott,
    One more question, if you remember, I'm able partially reproduce this issue (with tracks) but not with waypoints.

Can you remember when you switched to airplane mode and what the status of your internet connectivity was when you were doing each task?

For example: started the track with airplane mode off, turned it on, added markers, everything vanished, turned off airplane mode, reopened app, everything showed back up.

If you can walk through (as much as you can remember) what your status was that would be super helpful to debug the issue.

Best,
    Ben

7. 7 Posted by scott.danieln on 28 Apr, 2020 02:46 PM

Absolutely.

1) started the app
    2) went into airplane mode (all offline layers had been downloaded weeks previously)
    3) used the app for a while to navigate without taking a track, switching between layers frequently
    4) started the track
    5) stopped the track almost immediately (we decided to take a break that I didn't want recorded in the track) and discarded it
    6) started the track with the same name as the discarded track, using medium accuracy mode
    7) after a while of moving/tracking, tried to take a waypoint, which failed to display, so I tried it again (Same name/symbol), but it again failed to display, so I gave up on that
    8) stopped track recording (confirmed that I wanted to save the track to my map and account), and noticed that the track disappeared
    9) restarted the app, but I can't remember if this was before or after getting out of airplane mode - probably after
    10) confirmed that I wanted to restore the track
    11) noticed the track and the last of the waypoints I tried to place correctly displayed

Hope that helps!

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by matt on 11 May, 2020 10:25 PM

Scott -

Sorry for the silence on this. To be honest, absent more information I'm not sure what our next steps are. It turns out that Ben didn't actually reproduce, it was just confusion over recording a track to the map vs your account - so we don't have a reliable test case we can start debugging against.

Is this an ongoing issue for you, or is it a one-off that hasn't happened again? If it's an ongoing issue I can work on coming up with another round of steps to debug.

The contour issue you mentioned was a bug introduced when we launched the parcel layer, which comes from the same server but goes to a higher zoom level. It's fixed in the codebase, if it's not fixed on your phone it will be soon.

• Matt
  9. 9 Posted by scott.danieln on 13 May, 2020 04:21 PM

Hi Matt,

Thanks for looking into this. I haven't been able to recreate the
    track/waypoint saving issue again (did some mapping last weekend and
    everything worked fine), so it may well have been a one-off. Sorry about
    that.

As for the contour issue, thanks for addressing that.

Cheers,

Dan

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by rmarcucci on 13 May, 2020 06:01 PM

Dan,

All good, that's what we are here for. I'm going to close this ticket, but please reply here if the issue returns.

All the best,
    Rom

11. rmarcucci closed this discussion on 13 May, 2020 06:01 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac