Lines in MapBuilder do not snap to trails anymore.

Andrzej

28 Dec, 2019 07:04 PM

Tried to map out Flume + Liberty trail here below:
https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=44.10401,1008.32429&z=15&b=mbt

The lines would only go in straight and would not align with the trails.
I am used to a different behavior.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ben Lantow on 17 Jan, 2020 11:40 AM

Somehow this ended up in our spam folder, I just found it and looked at that map. It does appear to be behaving funny. Did you get this working at any point or is it an open issue still.

2. 2 Posted by Leigh Ann Wolfe on 13 Apr, 2020 01:47 AM

I'm also seeing this issue. It appears that you can't snap or trace lines that are in the MapBuilder Topo. Is the MapBuilder layer a flattened layer or are the trails actually a separate layer that can be traced? Coming from a GIS background, being able to trace segments or copy & paste trails sections would be RAAAAAAD! I'd pay for that feature...

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ben Lantow on 13 Apr, 2020 02:05 AM

This feature is working totally fine for me. Can you tell me what you have your snap-to set to? (Upper right corner of the map). If it's set to "Lines" that is user lines not map lines and you need to change to Map Builder Topo. This is a vector layer so if its on there you can snap to it.

Best,
    Ben

4. 4 Posted by Benny Mouton on 19 Oct, 2020 11:14 PM

https://caltopo.com/m/DABQ - This is a link of a map that I am trying to get the software to snap to the trails that are defined with the 7.5' Topo Layer. I have experienced the same problem with the MapBuilder Topo as well. I am using the line tool, but it doesn't want to snap to the trail.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Ben Lantow on 19 Oct, 2020 11:35 PM

Good afternoon,
    Just checked and I'm not able to reproduce this issue.

A few things to double check: make sure you are snapping to the right layer (if you're on MapBuilder Topo you'll want to snap to OSM, USFS Topo, snap to USFS) the selection box is in the top right corner. The other thing to check is that you've zoomed in far enough, we don't snap with very wide zooms (just way too many possible lines to snap to) so ensure you're zoomed far enough in that the lines turn yellow for snap to functionality.

If neither of those things resolve your issue it is likely related to your machine specifically, just respond here with the OS you are on, the browser you are using, and a sample map of an area you're not able to snap to.

Best,
    Ben

6. 6 Posted by Kipp Mroznable ... on 12 Nov, 2020 03:09 AM

I am having the same problem now, only some of line i can snap to

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by matt on 12 Nov, 2020 04:01 AM

Kipp -

We were making some infrastructure changes that temporarily disrupted snap to. It should be back (browser cache refresh might be required).

• Matt

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac