Tracks on Caltopo and Google Earth Network Link

wcsosarimt

13 Oct, 2019 06:26 PM

We noticed when using the network link that a name assigned to the live track does not show in Google Earth. Is this a bug or in future plans?

Alan

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by rmarcucci on 13 Oct, 2019 08:11 PM

Alan,

We've been having some issues with Google Earth lately. Not certain if this is related or not. I've flagged one of our staff to chime in on this. We've got some big meetings this week, so he may not be able to get back to you until Tuesday or Friday, depending on how the week goes, FYI.

Thank you for reaching out,
    Ro

2. 2 Posted by wcsosarimt on 14 Oct, 2019 12:54 AM

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by matt on 14 Oct, 2019 06:09 AM

I haven't looked into it yet but it's certainly not intentional or on the to-do list. I suppose there's a small chance you're just using it wrong, but most likely it's a bug.

Live tracks are an odd object type in that they're part-point, part-line. I'm guessing that's related to the name not showing up but I'll take a look - it should be an easy fix.

4. 4 Posted by wcsosarimt on 17 Oct, 2019 06:20 PM

Matt

Noticed when exporting a KML from a Caltopo map with tracks, and opeing in Google Earth Pro the tracks and labels for the tracks don't show on the earth.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Ben Lantow on 17 Oct, 2019 06:22 PM

Thanks for sending this on. We're aware that there's an issue, Matt is
    going to work on it soon, we just had a full week of meetings up to this
    point.

Thanks!
    Ben

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by matt on 17 Oct, 2019 11:43 PM

It looks like nothing specific to app tracks, rather that Earth disabled line labels by default generally. I have a fix that re-enables them in code, will get it deployed soon, although the labels still aren't great (one label per line, only shown when not panning, etc).

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac