can't generate PDF

dave hill

27 Sep, 2019 02:34 AM

Hi. I use caltopo / sartopo at home (USA) all the time. Love it.

I'm in New Zealand for a few months. When I select 'scanned 7.5'' as the base layer, I get a nice looking map. When I try to generate pdf (I usually use the link in my Avenza app), the 7.5' map disappears and the result is just a blank white page.

Any tips? Thanks.
Dave.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by rmarcucci on 27 Sep, 2019 03:07 PM

Dave,

Could you send over the link for the PDF you're trying to generate for us to debug? I just tested out the printing and it seems to be working fine for me so this must be something specific.

Thank you,
    Rom

2. rmarcucci closed this discussion on 27 Sep, 2019 03:07 PM.

3. david hill re-opened this discussion on 07 Nov, 2019 01:13 AM

4. 2 Posted by david hill on 07 Nov, 2019 01:13 AM

Ok, here are some examples.
    1. I go to caltopo and I zoom in on a piece of Oregon. Choose the MapBuilder Topo layer. Go to print a geospatial .pdf. Here is the link:  https://caltopo.com/p/794C
    And, when I go to that link, it all looks great.
    2. I next zoom in to a piece of New Zealand (near Christchurch). I to go print a geospatial .pdf. Here is the link: https://caltopo.com/p/3M11
    When I go to that link, using any browser, I see a blank white page.
    So, it works great for USA, does not work for New Zealand. Any tips?
    Dave.

On Saturday, September 28, 2019, 03:08:03 AM GMT+12, rmarcucci <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by matt on 07 Nov, 2019 03:47 AM

Hi David -

Looking at the PDF in the database, it has a bounding box with a longitude around -187 degrees. It looks like what's happening here is that if you start in the western hemisphere and then continuously pan the map left to the eastern hemisphere, while the coordinates displayed in the UI roll over to positive, the map's coordinates behind the scenes don't, and the PDF generator can't handle coordinates outside -180 to 180.

Before you hit print, can you try using the search bar at the top to either search for a location (christchurch, nz) and/or re-enter the coordinates (-43.55, -172.6), so that the map's coordinates get reset behind the scenes, and let me know if that works around the issue?

• Matt
  6. 4 Posted by david hill on 07 Nov, 2019 08:23 AM

Damn. That's an amazing bit of sleuthing on your part. Worked perfectly. Thank you so much for the incredible assistance.
    Dave.

On Thursday, November 7, 2019, 04:47:28 PM GMT+13, matt <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Ben Lantow on 07 Nov, 2019 08:49 PM

David,
    I've logged the issue on our development board as a bug to fix and I'm closing this ticket. For now use the work around that Matt suggested. We don't have a lot of mapping coverage outside N America which is why we hadn't realized this issue yet. We'll get it fixed, especially as we add more coverage internationally.

Best,
    Ben

8. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 07 Nov, 2019 08:49 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac