Custom Tiles - Cannot Print

shaneomack91

17 Jul, 2019 04:18 PM

Hello,

When attempting to print a PDF map using a custom tile source, the PDF comes out blank. This has happened with several tile sources so I know it is not isolated.

Additionally, it seems that some tile types print with very small text at 1:25000 - not sure if this can be resolved? If retina tiles are supported this may resolve the issue as the text will be bigger on those.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by rmarcucci on 17 Jul, 2019 04:54 PM

Shane,

I'm forwarding this along to our developer as I'm not certain how to deal with these issues. He's unavailable until tomorrow and will get back to you then.

Thank you for reaching out,
    Rom

2. rmarcucci closed this discussion on 17 Jul, 2019 04:54 PM.

3. rmarcucci re-opened this discussion on 19 Jul, 2019 05:13 AM

4. Support Staff 2 Posted by matt on 19 Jul, 2019 05:03 PM

Can share the custom source you're using in the print? Printing with custom layers is generally supported, but there may be something specific to that layer.

The PDF generator runs at 200dpi, while most map layers are designed for around 100dpi. For maps that don't change by zoom level (e.g. scanned topos) this works great, and MapBuilder layers are scaled to match the PDF so they always look right. For other layers like OSM, this results in scaled-down text. A solution for that is probably not forthcoming within the next year.

5. 3 Posted by shaneomack91 on 19 Jul, 2019 09:24 PM

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by matt on 23 Jul, 2019 03:00 AM

Thunderforest prints fine for me. See https://caltopo.com/l/BEVE for a map with it added as a custom layer and https://caltopo.com/p/5T2G for a PDF.

It does look like the PDF generator errors when passed 512px tiles instead of 256.

It's a long story, but no, adding a 100dpi option is not realistic right now. Because it generates real PDFs at arbitrary scales, instead of just giving a browser window you can print from, the tile layer's scale will generally not match the PDFs scale, and either you round to the nearest level, which means that in half the cases you're blowing up 100dpi tiles and they look awful, or you always round down, in which case they frequently still come out shrunk.

7. System closed this discussion on 02 Oct, 2019 04:25 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac