Elevation Gain & Loss Discrepancies When Joining Segments

anaxeman

16 Jul, 2019 03:19 PM

Something interested happened the other day. I am planning a bike loop in Oregon. While creating the route I made numerous individual segments. I then created a spread sheet adding up the total mileage, elevation gain, and elevation loss. Last week I joined the segments to make one segment. When I looked at the profile for the new segment, the elevation totals for gain and loss were way off. The mileage remained the same. The differences were; for the 9 individual segments gain of 4949' and loss of 1599' for the joined segments, gain of 4101' and loss of 2448'.

I expected a small amount a variance due to the joining of each segment but not this much. I'm stumped on the cause. Any ideas???

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by rmarcucci on 16 Jul, 2019 06:41 PM

Do you have a map that contains the original segments and the joined ones I could take a look at?

Rom

2. rmarcucci closed this discussion on 16 Jul, 2019 06:41 PM.

3. anaxeman re-opened this discussion on 16 Jul, 2019 09:05 PM

4. 2 Posted by anaxeman on 16 Jul, 2019 09:05 PM

OK. Attached you will see two files. One is OR Bike Loop with 9 segments. The second is OR Bike Loop with the segments combined into 1 segment.

Please note. I had to modify two segments for the export. In my original message I stated 4949' of elev gain and 1599' of elev loss.

The new sum is 4931' elev gain and 2428' elev loss.

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by rmarcucci on 16 Jul, 2019 09:52 PM

A small amount of the difference is due to slightly mismatched start and end points for the segments.

The larger issue here is an issue of sampling interval. If the interval is too long, you miss some important data. If the interval is too short, you pick up noise and the track ends up looking longer than it should.

With the 9 segments, your interval is as low as 15'. Way too short for a bike ride With 1, you're at 554'.

Pro level users can re sample as they wish. I re sampled you at 200' interval which is probably in the ballpark for biking speeds. Those stats come out at:
    +4176' -1672 31.2 miles

I hope that helps,
    Rom

6. rmarcucci closed this discussion on 16 Jul, 2019 09:52 PM.

7. anaxeman re-opened this discussion on 17 Jul, 2019 04:54 PM

8. 4 Posted by anaxeman on 17 Jul, 2019 04:54 PM

Thanks for your response. I like the fact the the total elevation gain is less than the sum of the 9. :)

9. rmarcucci closed this discussion on 17 Jul, 2019 04:57 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac