MapBuilder tiles have uneven shading

James Johnston

22 Jun, 2019 11:42 PM

If I set relief shading to "No" so I don't get relief shading on my generated MapBuilder maps, the tiles are inconsistently shaded, which is really annoying. See attached BadMap.png and notice how some tiles have white backgrounds while others have grey. The boundaries are perfectly straight with right angles, so it's obvious it's a technical problem with that tile instead of an actual terrain feature.

If I set relief shading to 10%, the effect becomes less pronounced, but still seems to exist: for example, I could see some tiles with a very light green shading while others did not have that same shading: with clear straight lines/boundaries between the tiles.

MapBuilder settings are attached.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 26 Jun, 2019 06:06 PM

Hi James -

I don't have an immediate solution for you, but I think I've traced this back to the image quantization code (sending a bitmapped image with 256 fixed colors, instead of a 4-channel image saves a ton of data). The effect is more pronounced because the entire background is a uniform color that isn't mapped right; with relief shading added, there's more variation in background colors and (I believe) the quantization library does a better job spreading the color map across all the available colors.

Switching quantization off entirely isn't an option, I'm going to need some more time to see if I can fix the issue during quantization.

• Matt
  2. 2 Posted by James Johnston on 26 Jun, 2019 07:25 PM

Hi Matt,

Ah – that would make sense… I paid for an upgrade over the free version for three reasons (1) to print larger size maps, (2) to adjust MapBuilder settings, (3) to support your efforts in running a small business creating this otherwise-awesome tool.

It’s not a huge deal as I already printed out relief-shaded maps for my upcoming trip, but I think my preference might have been to have no shading. However this quantization issue really bugged me, I am kind of OCD like that. Hopefully future trips will not have this problem sometime. ;)

While I have your attention - one unrelated feature suggestion I’d have would be to have a way to start a custom MapBuilder map using one of the default MapBuilder sets. If someone likes how the default / free MapBuilder looks for the most part, but wants to tweak one or two settings, it seems we have to try to guess what all the default settings were as there’s no way to copy from the default / use it as a template.

Thanks for all your hard work making this neat tool! I recently bought an inReach and was playing around with the mapping tool they have… just no comparison. Gaia is a nice site and I like how they have the National Geographic maps, but again you seem to have the edge when it comes to actually drawing out the route, printing map sets, etc.

Best regards,

James Johnston

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by matt on 26 Jun, 2019 09:18 PM

It's something that's crossed my mind as well, but custom MapBuilder layers are little-used enough that I haven't tried building it out yet.

Not sure if that's just a random suggestion or if you're looking for a starting point - I'm happy to share the MapBuilder Topo, Hybrid and Overlays settings with you if that would help.

4. 4 Posted by James Johnston on 26 Jun, 2019 09:45 PM

It would indeed be helpful to have that on hand - thanks! (Although I think I figured out the settings for the most part... Though I couldn't figure out how to get buildings to show up on the custom map...)

James

On Jun 26, 2019 14:18, matt <[email blocked]> wrote:

// Please reply above this line
    ==================================================

It's something that's crossed my mind as well, but custom MapBuilder layers are little-used enough that I haven't tried building it out yet.

Not sure if that's just a random suggestion or if you're looking for a starting point - I'm happy to share the MapBuilder Topo, Hybrid and Overlays settings with you if that would help.

On Wed, Jun 26 at 12:25 PM PDT, James Johnston wrote:

Hi Matt,

Ah – that would make sense… I paid for an upgrade over the free version for three reasons (1) to print larger size maps, (2) to adjust MapBuilder settings, (3) to support your efforts in running a small business creating this otherwise-awesome tool.

It’s not a huge deal as I already printed out relief-shaded maps for my upcoming trip, but I think my preference might have been to have no shading. However this quantization issue really bugged me, I am kind of OCD like that. Hopefully future trips will not have this problem sometime. ;)

While I have your attention - one unrelated feature suggestion I’d have would be to have a way to start a custom MapBuilder map using one of the default MapBuilder sets. If someone likes how the default / free MapBuilder looks for the most part, but wants to tweak one or two settings, it seems we have to try to guess what all the default settings were as there’s no way to copy from the default / use it as a template.

Thanks for all your hard work making this neat tool! I recently bought an inReach and was playing around with the mapping tool they have… just no comparison. Gaia is a nice site and I like how they have the National Geographic maps, but again you seem to have the edge when it comes to actually drawing out the route, printing map sets, etc.

Best regards,

James Johnston

Having trouble reading this? View this discussion online: MapBuilder tiles have uneven shading.

Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by matt on 27 Jun, 2019 09:17 PM

It looks like the UI still needs to be updated to let you toggle buildings on and off, sorry.

MapBuilder Topo is gradient woodland shading, 60% with 40% relief shading
    MapBuilder Hybrid is hybrid shading, 60% with 30% relief shading

Contour color is BB6100
    For all layers, hydrology is "typical"
    For topo/hybrid, boundaries, extra features and peak names set. Roads and trails are OSM / Standard / show distances
    for overlay, roads and trails are OSM / multicolor or solid lines

6. System closed this discussion on 02 Oct, 2019 04:25 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac