Multi-Map Conflation

hikin.jim

23 May, 2019 01:46 PM

I've noticed that the last few days that Caltopo is using large amounts of CPU and memory.

Mark-ups from multiple maps appear to be conflated on a single map. See screen shot, attached.

Features from other maps appear multiple times on map http://caltopo.com/m/FKE2. Map FKE2 is of the Cedar Spring area of the San Jacinto Mountains in S. Calif, but I can see "Bishop Pass" (in the eastern Sierra) appearing not once but multiple times. Features from other maps appear to be being pulled into this one map. All of my maps appear to be affected.

I'm running Google Chrome Version 74.0.3729.169 (Official Build) (64-bit) on a Windows 10 on a Toshiba laptop.

HJ

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 24 May, 2019 01:52 AM

Jim -

Lets' break this down into the two separate but possibly related issues.

1) Pulling additional data into your maps. When I look at FKE2 in the database, it looks like all those objects were added in one pass on 12/8/17. It also looks like the map itself was created in 2017. How often have you accessed that map / do you have a sense of when this happened? I know you're not a rookie user, so sorry for asking, but are you absolutely sure that you didn't accidentally import that data in 2017, and are now confusing it with another similar map like 23BH?

2) On the browser CPU usage, does this happen for every saved map, including small ones like AR1F? Does it also happen when viewing the page in an incognito window (which would take any saved cookie settings out of the picture)?

• Matt
  2. 2 Posted by hikin.jim on 24 May, 2019 10:09 PM

Matt,

1. Things are looking far better today. I'm not sure if something changed on your end or mine. I had several maps yesterday that were taking a long time to load, were not showing all of the mark-ups, and were opening in the center of the United States. Today they look fine ON MY COMPUTER. For example, this map of the bypass route of the (very) dangerous PCT/JMT crossing of the S Fork of the Kings River which I've been posting annually ever since Rika Morita's death there in 2017.
      https://caltopo.com/m/LL0B
      Looked crazy yesterday. Looks great today on my computer. Still opens to the center of the US on my iPhone, but that could just be an outdated version issue on my software on my iPhone.

2. Re the FKE2 map. I may have indeed imported that data although I thought it was to a different map. That looks like the "Half Mile" PCT data from Lon Cooper. Not sure why I would add the whole 9 yards from Mex to Canada for a trip to Cedar Spring, but perhaps I did.

In any event, it looks like CalTopo doesn't have a problem although something was up with respect to point #1 yesterday. It either self resolved or maybe something was funny on my computer yesterday. I did a full shut down last night which might have cleared something.

It looks like I unnecessarily "cried wolf" and took up your time for which I apologize.

HJ

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by matt on 24 May, 2019 11:28 PM

No problem. Nothing's changed on my end - no new code deployments and the server hasn't been taxed CPU-wise - but all maps are initially loaded centered on the US, and then once the map's data is parsed, re-centering to fit that data. So if something is bogging down, it doesn't surprise me that a saved map would center on the US - if it's not properly loading.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Cedar_Spring_Map_Problems_5-23-2019_6-36-45_AM.jpg 221 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac