KMZ Imports are Grey

Blair

17 Apr, 2019 05:57 PM

I have tried downloading Forest Service, 7.5, and hybrid maps into google earth and they show up in google earth as grey. I also sent a file to my map plus app on my iPhone and it had the same error.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 17 Apr, 2019 06:57 PM

Can you attach an example file (and the ID of the map you're using, if you're generating them from a saved map rather than the blank map viewer)? I'm able to create a KMZ file and have the USGS 7.5' layer show up fine.

2. 2 Posted by Blair on 17 Apr, 2019 07:18 PM

I am generating the file from the link below. I have tried opening the file as well as saving the file and then opening it, same result. The file is a .kmz and the system is not allowing me to attach it stating that it is being blocked by the security system.

https://caltopo.com/kmz.html#

3. 3 Posted by Blair Debian on 17 Apr, 2019 07:20 PM

I couldn’t upload the file on the forum, attaching it here.

Sent from my iPhone

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by matt on 17 Apr, 2019 07:25 PM

Thanks, that helps - it's giving you a KMZ of the shaded relief layer, rather than just a blank KMZ. Before you click "download KMZ", mouse over the layer control at the top right so that it expands - which layers are shown?

5. 5 Posted by Blair on 17 Apr, 2019 08:24 PM

See attached

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by matt on 17 Apr, 2019 08:35 PM

Thanks, that helps. I was actually just fixing this bug due to a different report of slope angle shading showing up as fully opaque.

There's a layer opacity bug in KMZ exports causing all layers to render at 100% that was introduced with some recent image refactoring. I thought it was adequately tested but didn't realize that the KMZ layer stacking went through a different code path than PDF layer stacking. A fix will get deployed tonight.

In the meantime, if you turn off shaded relief, you should at least get the topo map to export properly.

7. 7 Posted by Blair Debian on 17 Apr, 2019 09:06 PM

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by matt on 18 Apr, 2019 04:45 AM

fixed

9. matt closed this discussion on 18 Apr, 2019 04:45 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac