slow load times version 2

Pete

15 Mar, 2019 10:15 PM

Been experiencing very slow load time for the past several months. I found the previous (closed) discussion topic just today because it's gotten to the point where I have to figure this out. I pretty much have to open caltopo, then go do something else while it takes 5 minutes or more to load the map. Then, heaven forbid I scroll or change the zoom! Another 5 minutes or more, sometimes it never completely loads. Also used the offline beta version on an overnight and it was extremely slow to load the map. The markers would show right a way, but not the map.

1. 1 Posted by hyatt.ed on 17 Mar, 2019 07:38 AM

I am glad it is not just me; similar.
    I am in the UK and have noticed this especially over the last few days - it is basically unusable if you wish to add a line.
    Seems a little faster (but not to the point I would use it) if I switch from TF Outdoor maps to OSM.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by matt on 19 Mar, 2019 04:47 PM

Pete, where are you located? There have been a few growing pains at times, but if you're experiencing consistent slow page loads and not just a one-time issue, that's not something I've experienced or heard from other users about.

Ed, when you say especially over the last few days, did it just start slowing down, or was it still annoyingly slow but just not quite as bad previously?

Does this behavior exist on both a blank map viewer (URL ends in /m/map.html) and a saved map (/m/XXX)?

I will work on figuring out what's going on but I don't have an immediate answer. There was a change deployed around the 5th or 6th that I wouldn't expect to cause this, but it would be helpful to know if that coincided with decreased performance.

3. 3 Posted by hyatt.ed on 19 Mar, 2019 05:00 PM

It has been slow for the last 4-5 days; prior to that it was responsive
    and as usable as ever (i.e. very).
    It is notably faster on a blank map, but still far slower than it was.
    On a blank map the mappable paths populate (yellow lines) more rapidly.
    In existing maps this is slow and appears to happen in 'discrete blocks'

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by matt on 19 Mar, 2019 07:59 PM

There was one change since your original post (Monday morning pacific time), I just want to confirm that didn't help things.

5. 5 Posted by hyatt.ed on 19 Mar, 2019 08:20 PM

Sadly it did not.

6. 6 Posted by Robert on 23 Mar, 2019 01:33 AM

I am experiencing slow load times. When I try to create a route, it stalls out and eventually gives me a dialog box, caltopo is not responding due to long script. I attached an image of my screen for reference.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by matt on 24 Mar, 2019 11:44 PM

In an area with lots of roads, the snap-to function can take a long time to generate a road network. There are some checks in place to automatically turn it off if it starts taking too long, but if that isn't working for you, go to the config menu and set "snap to" to "no features".

That would be a separate issue from generic website slowness. For that issue, I still don't have an answer, and probably won't before the end of this week.

8. 8 Posted by Keith D. on 28 Mar, 2019 08:12 PM

This is an issue for me as well - the slowness of the snap-to function. Obviously not a deal breaker.....but somewhat annoying!

Do you think adding a "Snap to SIMPLIFIED Lines" option would improve the user-experience while also reducing server load? Speaking for myself, the high precision linework is not always appropriate and I often end up resampling the resulting linework anyways.

http://postgis.net/docs/ST_SimplifyPreserveTopology.html

9. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 19 Aug, 2019 11:12 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac