Distance Measurement

Peter Hirst

03 Jan, 2019 08:42 PM

Bug or Feature: I recently compared straight line measurements over distances of about 200 mi les in the Sierra and came up with a real puzzler. Over that distance, the straight line measurements I am getting are consistently greater than known actual miles by a lot:: over 50% or more. example: I used the Distance Measurement tool on a straight line between Lee Vining CA and Lone Pine CA, which has a ROAD distance of 122 miles, and the tool calculates a straight line distance of 170 miles.

Now this is great for measuring trail miles in the Sierra: I get a constitent estimate over similar distances within 5-10% of actual trail miles just using the straight line tool, but still ... what gives?

The attached screen shot is a straight line measurement between Tuolumne Meadows in Yosemite and Crabtree Meadow near Mt WHitney, a known trail distance of 180 miles +-. The measurement in the tool reads 169 +-. What gives?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 04 Jan, 2019 05:56 PM

It looks like you are reading kilometers instead of miles? Your screenshot says 105.27mi.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Screen_Shot_2019-01-03_at_12.05.04_PM.png 1.16 MB
  • Screen_Shot_2019-01-03_at_12.05.50_PM.png 1.08 MB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac