Disable Apple Mouse zoom - Revisited

Paul Beiser

27 Sep, 2018 06:17 PM

Howdy,
I see this was closed and was hoping it was fixed :-). When I Add Object (usually a line to start a hiking route), I still have the problem that the drawing zooms in/out with barely a brush or tap on the mouse. Is there anything that can be done, or do I need to get another mouse out when I need to create a hiking route? Note, the zoom in/out works fine when not adding objects. thanks!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 27 Sep, 2018 08:23 PM

It was closed by accident (you can also re-open a closed discussion, it's simply used to try to keep track of what needs a response).

I've been out of town on vacation this week, but I'm planning to pick up an Apple mouse this weekend so that I can debug the issue.

2. 2 Posted by Paul Beiser on 27 Sep, 2018 08:29 PM

Hi Matt, thanks and also thanks for the tip on re-opening a closed discussion.

More info - on my MacBook Pro with a Logitech Bluetooth mouse with scrollwheel, things work fine when adding a line.
    Best
    Paul

3. 3 Posted by Paul Beiser on 01 Oct, 2018 01:05 PM

Hey Matt,

Tried to Add Object (Line) this morning - works GREAT! :-).. thanks very much.

Paul

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by matt on 02 Oct, 2018 08:35 PM

Haven't made any changes yet, if you were still using an apple mouse and figure out what you were doing differently, let me know.

5. 5 Posted by Paul Beiser on 02 Oct, 2018 08:58 PM

Hey Matt,

Seems like if I am EXTREMELY careful to not brush the surface of the mouse as well as when I draw the line and do not have to move beyond the currently displayed area, I can get it to work ok. But it's challenging, esp for complex routes.

6. 6 Posted by Jerry on 03 Oct, 2018 06:23 PM

I recently built a map with the Apple mouse and had a similar experience.

I don't have suggestions on how to solve this, but I agree -- super frustrating.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by matt on 04 Oct, 2018 04:33 AM

This should be improved now. The map will still zoom with swipes (desired behavior for a number of users with scroll wheels), but it should only change a single level per swipe, not zooming all the way in or all the way out.

8. 8 Posted by Paul Beiser on 04 Oct, 2018 12:48 PM

Hey Matt,
    Yes, much improved, still zooms but much more controllable and the zooming is not as far in or out.

I wish Caltopo (with an Apple mouse) worked like Google Maps - in Google Maps only up/down swipes cause zooms and not side to side. In Caltopo any directional swipe causes zoom which I think exacerbates the zoom problem.

Thanks again.

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by matt on 04 Oct, 2018 06:15 PM

For me, horizontal directional swipes cause zooming in/out when not drawing (ie when Google is handling the event). On maps.google.com, horizontal swipes have no effect - no idea where the difference is, since I'm using the Google Maps viewer and I can't find anything in the Maps API about ignoring horizontal swipes.

10. 10 Posted by Paul Beiser on 04 Oct, 2018 09:37 PM

Hey Matt.. same for me .. horizontal swipes even when not drawing cause zooms.. Interesting what you are finding (or not finding :-).. oh well..

thanks again..

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac