USAR Icons with Import/Export

Adam Kelly

19 Aug, 2018 11:16 PM

I have a Garmin with the USAR custom Iron Sights symbols installed. If I make a waypoint on the GPS and use one of them like the Human Remains icon for instance and then import that waypoint into SARTopo it retains the Human Remains symbol on SARtopo. However, if I use that same symbol to create a waypoint on SARTopo first and then try to export it to my GPS it only comes up as the default blue flag on the Garmin GPS. Is there anyway that this could be rectified or is it a limitation on Garmin's side? No idea if the files associated with waypoints can send symbol information or not.

1. 1 Posted by Dave Boboltz on 20 Aug, 2018 05:42 PM

More information on this issue. I received custom waypoints as "Ironsights" USAR symbols originating from Missouri USAR team. They are known as ICS symbols on SARTopo.They are as an example 3.05 KB file size, 32x32 in size, example file name is A01.BMP. I have successfully loaded 24 of them on my Garmin 450 Oregon. I can save waypoints on my GPSr and see them on the map screen. When I directly import the waypoints from my Garmin receiver into SARTopo, the waypoints appear with correct USNG position but they show up as red dots. Included in the waypoint import were some non-ICS waypoint symbols originally on my receiver such as the tow truck. If I make an ICS waypoint on SARTopo, and then save it to my hard drive and then put it in my GPSr, it shows up as a standard symbol, not the ICS symbol.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by matt on 20 Aug, 2018 06:53 PM

The actual icon image is not present in a GPX file, only the name of the icon. As an accommodation to Iron Sights, I setup the importer to convert icons named "Custom XX" into the corresponding USAR icon, but the exporter does not presently convert from the USAR icon to "Custom XX".

It's been sitting on the to do list, I'll try to actually tick it off. Unfortunately there's no way to isolate Iron Sights imports specifically, so anyone with a custom icon sets will get theirs converted to a USAR symbol.

3. 3 Posted by Adam Kelly on 20 Aug, 2018 07:09 PM

Dave Bob,

If you use this link and download these .PNG files and place them into the CustomWaypoint folder on your GPS... You should be able to transfer the USAR symbols from your GPS into SARtopo.

https://emgis.oa.mo.gov/dps/icon/usar/

If I am hearing Matt correctly, when he gets around to setting it up these custom icons will eventually be able to go from SARtopo into the GPS and retain their symbols... But not until then

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by matt on 20 Aug, 2018 09:33 PM

Adam, can you confirm that the attached file shows correctly with symbol 1 / structure no damage? The only example GPX files I have for test comparisons have a bunch of extra metadata that I'm assuming isn't necessary, but would like to confirm.

5. 5 Posted by Adam Kelly on 20 Aug, 2018 11:53 PM

Yes that worked perfectly on my Garmin Alpha 100 and on SARTopo.

6. 6 Posted by Dave Boboltz on 21 Aug, 2018 10:46 PM

Matt,

Thank you for your efforts.

Adam,

I downloaded the .PNG files but waypoint transfer up to Sartopo still results in red dot symbol. And taking a waypoint back from Sartopo to my receiver also resulted in a standard, not custom waypoint. Should I have deleted the .BMP filesfrom my receiver?

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by matt on 22 Aug, 2018 03:17 AM

This is now live - USAR icons should export with "Custom XX" symbols for iron sights compatibility.

8. 8 Posted by Adam Kelly on 22 Aug, 2018 11:05 AM

I can confirm that both Exporting/Importing between SARTopo and a Garmin Alpha 100 with Custom Ironsights installed on it now works! Thank you Matt!

9. kobe.pole closed this discussion on 22 Aug, 2018 05:14 PM.

10. Adam Kelly re-opened this discussion on 26 Aug, 2018 03:45 PM

11. 9 Posted by Adam Kelly on 26 Aug, 2018 03:45 PM

This is still working just fine for SARTopo online but this functionality has not been added to the latest stable release for SARTopo Offline.

12. Support Staff 10 Posted by matt on 27 Aug, 2018 04:38 PM

Correct, it didn't make the cut for this round.

13. Adam Kelly closed this discussion on 30 Oct, 2018 01:51 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac