Copy as Line not available on lines

Bart

24 Jul, 2018 06:08 PM

The Lines and Polygons KB article describes that both polygons and lines can be copied as lines. However, the convert menu for lines only list copy/convert to polygon options.

This makes it hard to join two lines together without losing the original two lines. I'd love to be able to map out a route in segments from campsite to campsite and then combine segments into days. I'd like to plan out various trip lengths, e.g. 4 days, 5 days and so on. This is particularly useful in national parks where you have to stay reserved backcountry sites, such as Mt Rainier or Glacier National Park.

Segments that can be copied and then strung together in a variety of ways would make this a fast and easy process. It would save me from having to redraw routes over and over again with different start and end points.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 25 Jul, 2018 02:11 AM

That was a recent change while I was refactoring that code anyway - I'll admit that to me, providing the ability to clone a line as a line had always seemed like a bug, but before the refactoring it was too complicated to filter an object's own type out of the list.

I can think about adding it back in, but your use case (clone then join) also sounds painful. Have you tried setting the "snap to" feature to "lines & polygons" (either in the config menu, or in the control that shows up at the top right of the screen when drawing). I'd think that would be a far quicker way to temporarily combine segments together in different ways.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac