Point Info - Position & Elevation gives error, shows 0' for all points located below sea level

Amar Andalkar

29 Apr, 2018 08:23 PM

I just discovered this bug while using the right click to get "Point Info - Position & Elevation" for a spot near Salton City, CA, which is below sea level. It gives an erroneous elevation of 0' even when the USGS map clearly shows -104 ft at that point.

Trying that tool for numerous other spots around the Salton Sea and Death Valley which are all below sea level gives the same erroneous 0' value. It would be nice if that tool gave the correct negative elevation for points which happen to be located below sea level.

I did search discussions for "below sea level" (unquoted) prior to posting this, but it found no results.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 01 May, 2018 05:05 PM

I agree it would be nice, but I'm sorry that for technical reasons it's not something I'm going to be able to fix in the near term. Storing negative values would require some changes to the way my elevation data is stored.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac