Custom Icon Background

Adam Kelly

14 Apr, 2018 10:57 AM

Howdy again,

I am trying to create some custom icons but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get a transparent background. I've tried using the magenta color like you can with custom Garmin icons and I've tried a transparent background in Photoshop and saving it as a .bmp or PNG file to no avail. Is this even possible?

1. 1 Posted by Adam Kelly on 14 Apr, 2018 06:07 PM

I feel like this post didn't actually go through. Test.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by matt on 15 Apr, 2018 01:45 AM

It got temporarily marked as spam - I don't understand why the decision isn't immediate, but if a message looks questionable, the helpdesk software will delay showing it for a while.

I wouldn't be surprised if BMP transparency isn't read properly, but a 4-channel PNG with a transparent background should work fine - I've used a number of transparent custom icons in the past.

When happens when you try to add a transparent icon from CalTopo as a custom icon, e.g. http://caltopo.com/icon.png?cfg=c:point,FF0000 ?

3. 3 Posted by Adam Kelly on 15 Apr, 2018 11:33 AM

Matt,

Your CalTopo Icon works just fine. I think the problem may be my software. When I save it as a 4 channel PNG with Adobe Photoshop...My file size is always somewhere 15-20kb. So when I abandon that and try to use a .bmp with photoshop or a .png with paint is when I fail to get a transparent background. What editing software are you utilizing?

4. 4 Posted by Adam Kelly on 16 Apr, 2018 10:21 AM

https://appuals.com/ms-paint-turn-white-background-transparent/

I was able to use a combination of MS Paint/Power Point to get what I needed. Leaving the link above in case anyone else in the future ever struggles with this like I did.

5. Adam Kelly closed this discussion on 16 Apr, 2018 10:26 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac