larger page sizes

09 Feb, 2018 09:11 PM

Hello Matt,

General workflow is create caltopo map, download PDF, then load to Avenza. It's dead simple. Free version of Avenza only allows three maps though. Caltopo maps can only be 48x48 with my Pro account. Three 48x48 maps isn't big enough for a 2 week trip covering lots of ground.

Easiest solution: please allow bigger page sizes! Is it a storage thing on your end? If so, allow an option to not store the PDF or link at all, just get the one time download and then scrub the file from your end (I'm know I'm simplifying, but hey, this is the general griping forum:)

Currently I'm using Adobe Pro to try and crop and then print as multiple pages, etc. It's a pain and image resolution is being lost. I'm sure there's an Adobe solution but I don't want the hassle. It's ruining the simplicity. If someone has a simple solution please let me know. I like to do the mapwork in Caltopo and be finished. Also, I don't want to go through ESRI's whole export PDF to TIFF tool so I can properly read it in ArcGIS, then rearange the map pages, then export again... (off the soapbox now)

The other simple but more expensive solution is pay Avenza $30 per year and have unlimited map imports. I'd rather pay Caltopo.

Thanks for any ideas.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 12 Feb, 2018 06:37 AM

It's not about storing the PDF on disk for future retrieval - that's dirt cheap and I only store the most recent PDFs anyway, rebuilding the others as needed. Rather it's about assembling the PDF in memory.

What sort of size would you be looking for? I could see some minor variations, like allowing for longer/skinnier PDFs that maintain the same ~2000 square inch map area, but I can't provide 8'x8' PDFs without undue impact to the rest of the site. I'm surprised you can even get Avenza to work well on 4'x4' PDFs; I've had issues loading large page sizes inside their app.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac