Export checkboxes no longer cleared before second export

Teresa Gergen

22 Jan, 2018 06:46 AM

You fixed this issue perfectly in 2016. See
http://help.caltopo.com/discussions/features/52-feature-request-two-additions-to-the-config-menu

For the last few weeks, when I check the boxes for markers/shapes/folders that I want to export, then go back in to do a second export in the same session, instead of having the boxes all clear, I have to uncheck the boxes I did on the first export before checking which ones I want to export now. Could you please put it back the way it was? Thank you!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 23 Jan, 2018 05:51 AM

I hadn't remembered making those earlier changes, but this was an intentional decision to assist with repeatedly downloading data to multiple GPS units for SAR.

I've changed the dialog so that it will scroll back up to the top every time it's opened, so that the check/uncheck all box will always be visible when the dialog loads. Does that help or not?

2. 2 Posted by Teresa Gergen on 23 Jan, 2018 06:26 AM

Not really; then I have to scroll all the way back down (which can be through hundreds of folders/markers/shapes) to find where I was and check the box I want to export next, which was part of the original problem. Staying at the spot where the map was centered in the export dialog box was really handy, but since I move the map around between exports, it took me a while to realize the previously selected boxes were even still selected, since they were no longer visible on my huge export dialog box.

Would it be possible to have a new, per-user-account "Export Settings" section in the Config menu that maybe had 3 options: "Select All," "Select None," and "Save Selections" or something like that?

https://caltopo.com/m/0U5M

Here's a map that has a lot of stuff on it, to show you an example. It's not my largest map. When I leave home for weeks/months at a time to hike (I literally do that all year round), I give one single caltopo link to my emergency contact that has everything I'll do on it, and he bookmarks it. Having a bunch of small maps and having to explain which I'm using each day would make him extremely unhappy - he has a full time job in addition to keeping track of me while I'm out running around the country.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by matt on 23 Jan, 2018 05:40 PM

It's possible, but that level of customization feels like the sort of thing I'll eventually wind up regretting adding.

I think there's some confusion, as the export dialog maintained the spot it was previously scrolled to, but that never had anything to do with where the map was centered - that would be impossible as two adjacent map features might be in completely different folders.

I'm still evaluating if it's feasible, but what if the select / unselect all option were floating at the top rather than scrolling out of sight?

4. 4 Posted by Teresa Gergen on 23 Jan, 2018 05:56 PM

If I understand what that means, I think it would work. But it seems like being able to select a default from 3 export options would be a way to cover how anyone would possibly use exporting. I definitely see how your change is useful for SAR, but the average user wouldn't be exporting to multiple GPS units. If a user always makes small maps for the purpose immediately at hand, checking a Select All box would be best for them. The way it had been since the change you made for me before (Select None) apparently was working for people since then. It doesn't seem so much a customization as a useful feature. In fact, the Retain Selection concept seems customized for SAR, rather than the other way around.

-------- Original message --------
    Date: 1/23/18 10:41 AM (GMT-07:00)
    To: Teresa Gergen <[email blocked]>
    Subject: Re: Export checkboxes no longer cleared before second export [Bug Reports #1534]

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by matt on 23 Jan, 2018 06:16 PM

The most common use case is to only do a single export, for which this whole discussion is moot. To be honest I hadn't even realized that it was using the check/uncheck all box state for subsequent exports - I had to go back to an old version and verify, since it didn't sound right.

Give me a little time to think this over.

6. 6 Posted by Teresa Gergen on 23 Jan, 2018 07:06 PM

Do you still have a separate SARtopo program? Since the export had apparently been working for everyone since the change in 2016, would it be possible to put the old code back in caltopo, and the new code in SARtopo? Then you don't need to program anything new.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by matt on 14 Feb, 2018 04:34 AM

There are various reasons I'd prefer not to do that.

There's now a floating check/uncheck all box at the top right of the dialog, in addition to the one that's always existed. It could do with a little more beautification, but give it a try and let me know what you think.

8. 8 Posted by Teresa Gergen on 14 Feb, 2018 05:34 AM

Since you now open the export dialog box with the list positioned at the top each time, having a floating Check/Uncheck All box isn't useful. If the dialog box opens at the top, I might as well just use the fixed one, and then I have to scroll all the way down past any Folders and usually hundreds of Markers to get to the Shape that I want to export - over and over, with each subsequent export.

If you went back to having the export dialog box open up so that it was positioned where it had been previously scrolled to in the list during the last export (within the same session and map), like it was before, then having a floating Check/Uncheck box would probably help.

What I used to be able to do was this:

- open the Export dialog box. Uncheck all. Scroll down past the Markers to the Shapes section

- the shapes that had been currently displayed on the map were shown at the top of the Shapes section with the green "on map" note

- I selected one to export, saved it, and the dialog box etc went away

- I might pan around on the map at this point to find another shape that I wanted to look at or work on before exporting it

- open the Export dialog box a second time. Nothing was checked, AND, the dialog box was right where I left it the first time - at the top of the Shapes section, not at the top of everything on the map. The first thing in the Shapes section was now the shape that I'd panned over to look at, since it was now the closest thing "on map."

- I could then export that shape right then and there, without having to scroll anywhere in the dialog box, and without having to check/uncheck anything.

- I might repeat this process something like 20-50 times in a work session. It was quick and easy to do - what I wanted to export was always displayed right where the export dialog box opened up to.

So if a second export session is going to come up with everything still selected from the previous export session, and I'll have to Check and then Uncheck All to make sure I clear the previous selections before making my new selection to export, then having the floating Check/Uncheck All is better than only having the fixed one at the top of the dialog box, but only if you retain the previous position within the list of exportable objects in the dialog box.

Thanks for working on this.

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by matt on 16 Feb, 2018 07:23 AM

Scrolling back to the top was an oversight - it was only meant to be in place until I added a floating check/uncheck all box, and has been removed.

10. 10 Posted by Teresa Gergen on 18 Feb, 2018 01:36 AM

Thanks, Matt. Any chance the floating check/uncheck all string could be a new color that isn't already used in the dialog box, and maybe in the middle of the box where it's more visible?

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by matt on 18 Feb, 2018 08:20 PM

I intend to take another pass at the look and feel at some point (ideally I'd just have a single box as a fixed non-scrolling row at the top of the top of the dialog, but technical reasons make that harder). However I have some more pressing projects for the next several months.

12. 12 Posted by Teresa Gergen on 18 Feb, 2018 09:39 PM

OK, thanks for fitting this in!

-------- Original message --------

13. kobe.pole closed this discussion on 18 Jun, 2018 10:32 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac