Map builder topo not loading, my Caltopo session expiring mid session

C Flyn

11 Apr, 2017 02:14 PM

Hello -
We are using Caltopo to plan a long expedition. All layers except map builder are working brilliantly, but now we are trying to draw/measure routes (using Map Builder topo's snap-to function) we are having no end of difficulties.
The layer does not load past a certain zoom, or if it does, we start drawing our line and halfway through it stops saving our work, says we are no longer logged in. And then the box that allows us to click OK disappears, and our line is unsaved. Gahh!
I don't really want to complain as it's such an excellent website, and it's been so useful. But we've really hit a wall with this one super-useful function. Here's a screenshot of what I've been looking at for a while.

If we purchased a membership, might it make this simpler? Could we download all the information, so we weren't stuck by maps not loading, or lines not saving, and so on?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 11 Apr, 2017 02:51 PM

The rendering stack that provides mapbuilder (as well as auto-routing functionality) has run into significant scaling issues. This has been a growing issue, and I've been working on a plan that involves reworking much of the platform, but it unexpectedly fell off a performance cliff and I've been left scrambling. Because the main CalTopo platform also has a hand in dealing with most of these requests, the issue has bled over and caused slowdowns in other functionality as well.

Lately I've been logging some long hours and throwing everything I can at the wall to see what sticks. While ultimately necessary, some of my attempts have caused more harm than help, since there wasn't enough time to thoroughly test everything before deployment.

The good news is that some of the original software bottlenecks are now resolved and I'm at the point where I can temporarily solve the problem by throwing hardware at it. Bad news that as of 12:30pm today, I'm out of hardware to throw - moving beyond the $3k/mo AWS server I just switched will require breaking the map rendering up across multiple machines.

The site should now be more usable than it was this morning, and hopefully the speed will continue to improve as my tile cache gets filled back in. I'm going to keep an eye on the CPU load over the next several hours, but as long as performance stays reasonable, I'm focusing all my attention on coming up with a more permanent fix. It it gets unmanageable again, there will probably be a 1/2 day - 1 day lag before I'm able to get map rendering properly distributed onto multiple servers.

2. 2 Posted by Cal Flyn on 11 Apr, 2017 05:52 PM

Thanks so much for all your hard work on this - much appreciated.

3. 3 Posted by Cal Flyn on 12 Apr, 2017 11:06 AM

It's working again - thank you so much

*Writer and reporter*
    *www.calflyn.com <http://www.calflyn.com>*
    *07786 230 144*

4. 4 Posted by Keith D. on 12 Apr, 2017 04:06 PM

Wow - I will take it easy with my CalTopo usage!

I actually came here to make a separate request, which coincidentally may help to reduce the server load:

A "simplified" trails layer for display only when zoomed out past a certain range. Basically taking the existing layer and resampling to one vertex every mile or so. Benefit to the end-user is they can see all the trails across a wider geographic area (trip planning). Benefit to CalTopo is not having as many vertexes to render (until the user zooms in, of course).

Thanks Matt for providing this resource. Happy to kick in a bit of extra $$ on top of my subscription, if you accept donations. CalTopo has more than proven it's value as I plan for one once-a-year backpacking trip!

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by matt on 16 Apr, 2017 06:21 PM

No need to worry about taking it easy, issues should be resolved.

If you're referring to the MapBuilder Topo layer and not your own trails, then yes, that's something that's on my radar. It doesn't need to be anything like 1 mile spacing, but now that things are back upright I'd like to expand the amount of data shown when zoomed out to include additional trails.

6. 6 Posted by Keith D. on 18 Apr, 2017 12:00 PM

Thanks Matt. That would be greatly appreciated!

And yes, I am referring to the trails shown in MapBuilder (OSM and USFS).

7. matt closed this discussion on 24 Apr, 2017 10:30 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac