Default APP

Bill Florence

23 Dec, 2019 03:36 PM

We receive coordinates as a hyperlink and if you click that link without a default mapping app selected you get the open with dialog with choices of mapping apps on your device. SARTopo isn't a choice, I think the app would need to take as input the coordinates and be "registered" in some way as a mapping app.

Is this something you could support? Our specific use is coordinates sent in response to a find me link that updates to teams in the field but I could think of other non-sar uses. The coordinate could just be fed to the add marker in your current map was my thinking....

Thanks
Bill F.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ben Lantow on 23 Dec, 2019 07:30 PM

This is a good idea and something we could look into more in the future. However this likely won't be part of our initial release.

Thanks for the feedback.

2. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 23 Dec, 2019 07:31 PM.

3. Florence, William B - (wbf) re-opened this discussion on 23 Dec, 2019 09:23 PM

4. 2 Posted by Florence, Willi... on 23 Dec, 2019 09:23 PM

Too bad,

It's pretty standard stuff. I think every other mapping app I have acceps coordinate input and we distribute coordinate info in real time on almost every call....

Enjoy
    Bill F.

Bill F.

[email blocked]
    [email blocked]
    (520) 488-7747

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ben Lantow on 23 Dec, 2019 09:27 PM

Sorry I must have misunderstood your question. CalTopo already allows for input in any coordinate system, such as UTM, Decimal Degrees, Degrees Minutes Seconds, etc all directly into the app. Just copy and paste into the search box within CalTopo, no translation or changes to the coordinates required, we can parse the data. The only caveat is that the data needs to be in the correct datum (which you can change in map info if you are using NAD27 v. WGS84). I thought you were asking to be able to click on any coordinate in something like a text or an e-mail and have it recognize and open CalTopo directly, there are challenges because we accept so many formats.

6. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 23 Dec, 2019 09:27 PM.

7. Florence, William B - (wbf) re-opened this discussion on 23 Dec, 2019 11:44 PM

8. 4 Posted by Florence, Willi... on 23 Dec, 2019 11:44 PM

Falls: Scene 32 19.41,-110 46.60<geo:32.3235,-110.7766>-Steve West PCSD

You were right on what I was thinking. Above is what our field teams would get. Click on the link Orux or Google Maps or Show on Map or Earth...bunch of apps are listed in open with dialog. If the link isn't properly formatted it won't show as a link I think......

I'm not dissing you.... great product we use in basecamp all the time. Integration through links like these on a mission map started by ops would just be a great addition. Unfortunately telling our field folks to just copy and paste...middle of night on trail when another app works, not happening.

Thanks for checking
    Bill F.

Bill F.

[email blocked]
    [email blocked]
    (520) 488-7747

9. Support Staff 5 Posted by Ben Lantow on 26 Dec, 2019 06:17 PM

Hi Bill,
    The challenge is that we accept so many formats, I could see potentially being able to add to the link list for certain types but I don't know if we can for all. I like the idea, and can totally see the usefulness. I'll toss this to one of the engineers to look at but it will be next month most likely.

Best,
    Ben

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac