Won't stop

Greg

16 Dec, 2019 03:50 AM

The app won't stop recording. Is there any way to turn off the app?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by kobe.pole on 16 Dec, 2019 06:16 AM

Hi there,
    To stop recording, simply press on the icon in the bottom left corner that you used to begin recording. A popup window will appear that will allow you to finish your recording. You then have the choice to save or delete your recording.
    -Kobe

2. kobe.pole closed this discussion on 16 Dec, 2019 06:16 AM.

3. Greg Gordon re-opened this discussion on 16 Dec, 2019 01:58 PM

4. 2 Posted by Greg Gordon on 16 Dec, 2019 01:58 PM

Yes that stops the tracking, but the app keeps recording my position.how do
    I stop the app?

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by kobe.pole on 17 Dec, 2019 12:37 AM

Greg,
    You should be able to long press on the location icon in the bottom right hand corner, this will allow you to turn off the recording.
    -Kobe

6. 4 Posted by Greg Gordon on 17 Dec, 2019 05:02 PM

No, that just stops recording the current track but doesn't close the app,
    it keeps running. The only way I've found to actually turn it off is to
    switch to airplane mode and turn off the location on the phone. There must
    be an easier way to stop the app itself from continuing to track location.

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Ben Lantow on 17 Dec, 2019 06:27 PM

Hi Greg,
    I think you're confounding two things. There are only two ways in which CalTopo obtains location information. Both are related directly to a user input. The first is to record a track, this is initiated by pressing on the small logo in the bottom left of the screen, that initiates a track recording which can be stopped by pressing in the same spot. This track recording also stops when the app is terminated, but not when the app is backgrounded (by design).

The second way the app constantly obtains location info is a long press in the bottom right "follow me" where no data is recorded but the app constantly refreshes GPS location and shows that with a blue dot. It is turned off with a long press to that corner. You can also short press that button for a single location update.

If you background the app without stopping the follow me or track recording that function will persist, this is by design so you can switch apps and do other things on your phone and keep updating the app.

On iOS or on Android you can always set your settings to "record only while using app" the app will be able to continue recording in the background if you start a recording, but once you end the recording the app cannot access locatino without user input.

If you are having some sort of other behaviour there may be a specific bug related to your device and the way it is interacting with the app. If that's the case we can debug that with you and make updates to the app accordingly. If you suspect that to be the case can you tell me the model and OS of the phone, and what steps you took when you noticed the issue.

Thanks,
    Ben

8. 6 Posted by Greg Gordon on 17 Dec, 2019 06:42 PM

Ben, thanks for your reply, but no, I'm not confounding two things--its one
    problem. When I stop recording a track and long press the icon, the app
    keeps tracking location, even after I exit the app. There's a little dot
    indicating the app is still on and tracking even after I exit and stop
    recording. I'm not talking about having the app run in the background while
    I'm using it. It won't stop recording after I've exited the app. I have
    the3 motorola motog6 phone.

9. Support Staff 7 Posted by Ben Lantow on 17 Dec, 2019 06:45 PM

Greg,

Thanks for the response. I haven’t heard of this issue or seen it with our testing. When you stop the track by pushing on the track recording on the bottom left, do you also stop the “follow me” function in the bottom right corner? They are independent functions (battery life concerns). Which “dot” are you referencing saying it is tracking? When you exit the app how are you exiting, are you using the back arrow until you get an exit prompt or are you hitting home and moving to another app or home screen?

Thanks,
    Ben

10. 8 Posted by Greg Gordon on 17 Dec, 2019 06:51 PM

AH, hitting the back arrow twice did the trick! Thanks!

11. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 17 Dec, 2019 07:09 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac