Dowloading "garmin kmz" in app

Alex

01 Dec, 2019 10:34 PM

Hello,
I'm looking for a way to download kmz map for Gamrin device (like web version has in Print menu) from android app.
The functionality I'm looking for is described in this kb http://help.caltopo.com/kb/gps/garmin-custom-maps, I'm not talking about exporting map features like routes or waypoints.

It would be useful so whole planning workflow can be done without PC.

Thanks.

PS. Sorry I can't reply in http://help.caltopo.com/discussions/android/116-dowloading-garmin-kmz-in-app as it's closed now.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ben Lantow on 01 Dec, 2019 10:42 PM

Hi, You can respond to closed discussions, it will automatically reopen the ticket.

You can download KMZ files of the map you are working on only and do so by going about the described task.

You cannot use any print functions whether it is print to KMZ, PDF, MBTile or JPG or any other format on mobile and we do not ever anticipate building that functionality. The engine that drives the print functions requires a great deal of processing power. We do offer some of those features in the desktop software if you need to do any of these functions offline. Licenses for desktop software are included in the desktop level subscription.

2. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 01 Dec, 2019 10:42 PM.

3. Alex re-opened this discussion on 01 Dec, 2019 10:58 PM

4. 2 Posted by Alex on 01 Dec, 2019 10:58 PM

Hi Ben, thanks! I can't login on non-https websites but that's offtopic.

As far as I understand "printing to kmz" happens on the server side, it does not look to be impossible to add this flow to mobile app (and it will only work with internet connection- just like web version).
    Also I figured can do if from mobile phone by opening caltopo.com in web browser, requesting desktop version of web site and following the regular printing process, but operation on desktop version from mobile phone is pretty terrible experience - I thought it could be improved by adding this printing option to mobile app.

Anyway, as I have a workaround it's not top priority now, just a suggestion.
    Thanks!

5. 3 Posted by Alex on 01 Dec, 2019 11:01 PM

And again, sorry, didn't realize I can respond to discussion through email, by bad.

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Ben Lantow on 02 Dec, 2019 12:58 AM

Ahh. Well you reminded me that I needed to reach out to our vendor to install a SSL certificate and I did so. Thanks.

There's a little more to it, much of the processing is done server side. However yes, you can potentially request the desktop version from a mobile to get around this, but the experience is not optimal. We are not planning to add print features to the app at this time.

And no worries, closing discussions is more for me to keep track of if I'm anticipating a response or need to respond further versus anything else.

Best,
    Ben

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac